Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a simple question. Whats do the #'s represent when talking about tires e.g. 170/60/17 I think the 17 means the height.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
first # is the width, in millimeters, second number is height, as a % of the width. (ie 60=60% of 170) and the last number is of course rim size.

width(170)/height(60%)/rim size(17)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. So in this case 60% of 170 by my calculations is 283.33. Does that then mean that the height of the wheel is 283.33 mm?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
MaineKawi said:
Ok. So in this case 60% of 170 by my calculations is 283.33. Does that then mean that the height of the wheel is 283.33 mm?
nah, your math is wrong, 170*.6=102mm which I believe is from the actual edge of the tire all the way inside the rim. Not just what you see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: Well dont I feel like the rear end of a donkeys ass. See LOGIC would have told me that 233 is a larger than 170. Did it in the windows calculator so it was a computer error!!! RIGHT anyways.

What do you mean exactly by this "which I believe is from the actual edge of the tire all the way inside the rim. Not just what you see. "

Sorry about all the questions, just wanna clear it up!

Thanks

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
well, a large portion of the side wall is hidden from view because it is inside the lip on the rim. So if you measure what you see on a tire like that it won't be 102mm, if you take the tire off the rim then you should be able to actually measure it with a ruler and get correct measurements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts