Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1999 Kawasaki Nomad in Tuscon, AZ a year ago, I drove it back home to Albuquerque, NM with no problems, and the bikd runs great!, but I've noticed that when I ride for a while, and pull over to stop for gas, or for a bite to eat, and I get back on to start the bike, it wont kick over, like it's flooded. once I get the motor running, I have to play with the choke to keep it running, and then when I get going without any stoplights, or get on the freeway, it runs good again.

I have 26,000 miles on it, I have no modifications on it, I changed oout the plugs last year, and now that it's warming up, I want to get out and ride, but I am embarrassed when I ride with my friends, and they have to wait for me to get my bike started.

Can anyone help? .. If you need anymore information, please feel free to write!

Thanks Guys! .. and be safe!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Do you have a carbon canister on that model? ...........It's the black box under the left side cover held on by a rubber dohicky.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Sounds like vapor lock. Move fuel lines lately or use "winter" mix fuel in your area? If it was flooding you wouldn't be needing the choke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey RFB, Thanks for the reply! .. Hesperia Huh? .. I used to ride my dirt bike at El Mirage every weekend! .. But I will check to see if I have a carbon canister, but when I was going over my bike lastnight, I noticed that there is dried ant-freeze on the radiator, and there is no anti freeze in the resevoir, or in the radiator either, .. If I was riding the motorcycle, without radiator fluid would this cause the bike to get hot, and possibally give me the problems I'm running into? .. I was also thinking that since i purchased the motorcycle in Tuscon, AZ .. and drove it to Albuquerque, NM .. there is a BIG difference in altitude, could this be a factor also?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Baitis, Thanks for the response, here in Albuquerque they dont have a winter mix fuel, I discovered there is a leak in my radiator, and I had no radiator fluid at all, I was running dry, so could it be that if my bike was over heating, it could have giving me this problem? .. I also thought that since I bought my bike in Tuscon, AZ, and drove it to Albuquerque, NM .. there is a HUGE difference in altitude, and could this also cause the problem?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
One way to find out...............fill it up with coolant.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
I considered the altitude but there was no mention of problems prior to this, and I didn't have time to look up alt yesterday. The jets are probably on the fat side since Tuscon is 2389ft and Alb is 4900-6700. Seems like the biggest problem is the bike is overheating. The temp sensor can't read air temp, it needs to be in a bath. You won't get an overtemp indicator, and with a mechanical gauge the first clue is a low to no temp reading on the gauge. I think the need for the choke (big jets already giving plenty of fuel) is that the excessive engine temp is vaporizing the fuel before it gets to the combustion chamber. Add coolant, fix leak, check plugs after riding. Probably going to need to drop one or two jet sizes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts