Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone for your reply to my question about FI on the Mean Streak.
I need to replace the front tire and I'm having a little trouble finding a lot of different brands to choose from other than the OEM Bridgestones in the size required by the M.S. (130/70R17). Does anyone have any reccomendations for one that will get fairly good mileage?

I also want to get a windshield that's not too big, but will still take off a majority of the wind blast and won't detract from the appearance of the bike too much. What would you reccomend here? Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
I put the Kawi windscreen on my bike when I first got in 02 and like it a lot.It's not too tall to see over and appears to hold up well. I replaced both tires with original Dunlops but went with a 120 front instead of the 130 oem. Some prefer the Metzlers but I didn't replace both tires at the same time so I had to stick with the Dunlops which seem to be holding up well also since I bumped the psi up to 40lbs each.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I got the same question about windshields. I like the look of the Kawasaki factory windshield, but have read in other threads that some guys really hate it. Others seem to like it. Any more comments from the guys that have the factory windshield? Your comments would be greatly appreciated. -- Tony

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some prefer the Metzlers but I didn't replace both tires at the same time so I had to stick with the Dunlops

Hot Shoe
Is is necessary that both tires be the same brand? Would is cause some kind of handling problem if they weren't? I prefer to switch from the OEM Bridgestones, but since only my front tire needs replacing I was thinking I would switch it to another brand and then later switch the rear to the same brand when it wears out.

If I would have to replace the rear tire also to switch brands, I probably will end up staying with the Bridgestones. Also you mentioned Metzlers--which series do they have that fits this bike?

·
Registered
741 Posts
zero260 said:
Some prefer the Metzlers but I didn't replace both tires at the same time so I had to stick with the Dunlops

Hot Shoe
Is is necessary that both tires be the same brand? Would is cause some kind of handling problem if they weren't? I prefer to switch from the OEM Bridgestones, but since only my front tire needs replacing I was thinking I would switch it to another brand and then later switch the rear to the same brand when it wears out.

If I would have to replace the rear tire also to switch brands, I probably will end up staying with the Bridgestones. Also you mentioned Metzlers--which series do they have that fits this bike?
Some riders claim that using two tires with different tread and/or rubber compounds create handling problems. I can't say since I've not tried that..I do think I will give it some consideration next time since it is unlikely that both tires will need replacing at the same time. I think I will try the Metzler Z6 when the time comes. The Metzler web site will show all the possibilities for your bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
hot_shoe_cv said:
Dunlops which seem to be holding up well also since I bumped the psi up to 40lbs each.
Were your originals the Dunlop D220's? What pressure were you running before upping to 40 and what mileage did you get on the tires?

I have been running 36/36, but after reading all the stories on here of front tire cupping I upped it to 40/40 also.

One last question. What do you run your shocks at for solo riding.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ipscshooter said:
hot_shoe_cv said:
Dunlops which seem to be holding up well also since I bumped the psi up to 40lbs each.
Were your originals the Dunlop D220's? What pressure were you running before upping to 40 and what mileage did you get on the tires?

I have been running 36/36, but after reading all the stories on here of front tire cupping I upped it to 40/40 also.

One last question. What do you run your shocks at for solo riding.

Thanks for your help.
Yes I had the 220's as OEMs and it was the rear which showed cupping first and later the front also I ran 36 PSI which is what the owner manual recommended since then I have run 40/40 on new Dunlops. I'd have to guess I have around 4000 miles on the present tires with no signs of cupping so far, so the PSI must be the answer. I run the shock compression at the #2 position. I only weigh about 155 lbs and it gives me a firmer ride. As a long time dirt rider, I like to have a better seat of the pants sense of what is going on.
When the cupping on my rear tire was brought to my attention, I had about 12000 miles on the bike, but the problem was no doubt there for some time prior to that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
hot_shoe_cv said:
I have around 4000 miles on the present tires with no signs of cupping so far, so the PSI must be the answer. When the cupping on my rear tire was brought to my attention, I had about 12000 miles on the bike, but the problem was no doubt there for some time prior to that.
Thanks for the info. 12,000 is pretty good mileage I would say.

I keep reading on here about front tires showing cupping at 3-4 thousand and was begining to wonder how long my tires would last. I have about 1700 on them now with no signs of problems.

Seems like the key is to stay on top of the pressure. Maybe it's the Bridgestones some bikes come with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How tall is it?

any of you guys with the Kawi shield know what the measurement is from the top of the headlight to the top of the shield?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
According to the 2002 Kawi accessory catalog, it's 15" high by 19 wide. The mounting system is supposed to be very good.

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
My rear stock Dunlop was a slick before I hit 5000 miles. Just from normal riding at 36lbs. I'll be sure to try 40lbs on the next pair

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I emailed Dunlop about the psi for my 03 Mean Streak. They recommend 36 for the front and 40 for the back at all loads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently installed a National Cycle DX windscreen on my 04 Meany.

I've ridden about 60 miles in 40 degree weather and it keeps the wind blast off my chest. That makes for a slightly warmer ride this time of year in New England.

The screen is adjustable for tilt and height and cost $80 from JC Whitney, which is a good value compared to the Kawi unit.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I want to replace the plastic on my F&S two-piece, adjustable windscreen (I discovered that it needs to be several inches higher to prevent buffeting). I've been looking at the Memphis Fats replacement plastic from Memphis Shades, but I can't figure out whether I can use it with the hardware from my F&S windscreen. I've tried to call Memphis Shades and have emailed them, but can't get hold of anyone. Does anyone know whether these two will work together? They look the same, just from looking at the pictures on the two companies' web sites, but I really can't tell if the holes in the Memphis Fats plastic will line up with the hardware I have. And I don't want to pay the extra bucks for hardware I don't need.

Thanks!

Julie

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I have 12,000kms (7500mi) on my OEM stock Dunlops and my back is a slick down to the wear bars and my front is cupped pretty good with a bit of tread left but I'm replacing both in the spring. I too ran 36/36 but will be trying 40/40 on the new rubber.

I have a Memphis Shades slim (17") that I really like. I'm 6' and see over it easily. I had started to pretty much ride without it at the end of the season, until the temps dropped, then I put it back on. It's an easy 2 minute job and the brackets don't detract while the shield is off.

You can see a pic in the Photo Gallery, My 04 Black Meanie
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5266

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
For anyone who might be interested, I finally heard from Memphis Shades. Their replacement plastic does NOT work with F&S hardware. :( But the National Cycle guy (their stuff doesn't work, either) told me to try the lowers first before I invest in a different windshield. He said that the windshield height should have much to do with head buffeting. So I guess I'll find out!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I put National Cycle's DX Deflector Screen on the Meanie. It is only about 15" above the headlight, but it changed the air pocket substantially. It is adjustable for rake, plus you can pull it off in about 30 seconds. (I am vertically challenged at 5'6" and always ride with a full-face helmet)

You might want more protection than that, but this works for me. I don't want to make the Meanie look too much like a Road King, so I've tried to choose my accessories carefully.

Too bad somebody doesn't make an electrically adjustable shield ala the FJR or BMW.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
tschrnr said:
Too bad somebody doesn't make an electrically adjustable shield ala the FJR or BMW.
No kidding! I'm so jealous when my hubby can just hit a switch and adjust his windshield. Of course, the stock windshield on his FJR doesn't seem to work that well. He's getting a lot of buffeting, even with all those fancy farings and his cool windshield. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts