Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about tires for my zx6r,my stock tires are wore out and need some new ones, I'm a street rider and ride the curves pretty aggressive I've heard the pilot power 2ct's are an excellent choice as far as grip but have heard that the lean angle they have are wicked, I'm afraid I might not like the angle, my friends have told me that they want to lean over very quickly and easy but they love them. Any input on these tires, they seem to be the best tire performance wise and price, any suggestions. Thanks

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
they are terrific tires and you'll do fine for street riding. I have used them on the track as well. For street riding, you will never need more grip than these tires are capable of. my sons both ride with 2CTs and like them as well.

I've even run Shinko 005s on the track and they grip well at a novice track pace. I was able to scrape my knee with them. Once you push them harder, they will start to slide on you though. The Shinko 003s would be better for aggressive riding.

Bridgestone battleaxe is also a great tire to run.

Bottom line is for street riding, any of them are more than capable. If your buddies tell you otherwise, they are full of hot air. :wink:

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
You may be saying "lean angle" but I think you mean "turn in" which means that the tires head into (lean over into) turns very easily. And yes, I have heard that, but that is not a bad thing, especially if you're looking for high performance tires. A lot of people ride the PP, so you should get a ton of responses here soon...

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
My sons don't drag knees, but the 2CT works well for that. Like I said, even the 005 Shinko works for that for street use. Unless you are going to the track, what I've found is that tires are tires and work just fine for street use. Mostly it's in the head where they make a difference. If confidence to be gained from a stickier tire is important, then go with the 2CT and you'd be in great shape.

As AJ said, turn in is "quicker", but that's really all relative, and it's not a huge difference between tires or brands. Often times people notice a new tire as being more reponsive or turning in quicker just because they are new and have a better profile. As tires get old and worn in the middle, they turn in far more slowly due to the edge that is created from wear.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
I'd say just pick one and have your bike setup for it. There are two basic tire types: triangular and rounded. Your bike needs to be setup accordingly. For instance the setup for a Battle Axe is different than a 2CT or Diablo. So you can't just swap between tires. I recommend finding one and planning on living with it for a while. You can switch between 2CT and Diablo w/o changing setup. I think Qualis and Battle Axes are interchangable too, but I don't use either so don't take my word for it.

The setup I'm refering to is the ride height. I think Qualis and BattleAxes are taller than 2CTs and Diablos. So you have to push the forks down a bit (1mm or so I think). Again: I'm an idiot so go check with a professional mechanic that actually gets paid for knowing this stuff.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I'd say just pick one and have your bike setup for it. There are two basic tire types: triangular and rounded. Your bike needs to be setup accordingly. For instance the setup for a Battle Axe is different than a 2CT or Diablo. So you can't just swap between tires. I recommend finding one and planning on living with it for a while. You can switch between 2CT and Diablo w/o changing setup. I think Qualis and Battle Axes are interchangable too, but I don't use either so don't take my word for it.

The setup I'm refering to is the ride height. I think Qualis and BattleAxes are taller than 2CTs and Diablos. So you have to push the forks down a bit (1mm or so I think). Again: I'm an idiot so go check with a professional mechanic that actually gets paid for knowing this stuff.
the diff may be a requirement to run a diff air pressure based on the tire...i know that i run diff air press depending on the particular tire...taller 1 mm most people cant diff 1 mm...its a hair over a 32nd of an inch

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
the diff may be a requirement to run a diff air pressure based on the tire...i know that i run diff air press depending on the particular tire...taller 1 mm most people cant diff 1 mm...its a hair over a 32nd of an inch
That would be ME! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
How about the Bridgestone 016's heard these are pretty good and sticky as well for the price. Any info?
Nice and sticky. Can you afford to replace them every 1600 miles though? I hear there's a new Metzler about to come out. It's a Kill The Elephant series tire. :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Always movin'
2,309 Posts
I'm runnin the Michilen 2CT's on my 6r and they definitely seem to turn in quicker, but it's not a bad thing. Just takes a little getting used to.
I've also run Conti Road Attacks and I really liked them, although I liked the 2CT's a little better.
We went from stock tires to Pirelli Diablos on the SV650S and made a world of difference. They are a good tire as well.
My wife's gsxr 750 has Bridgestone BT016's and they have been great tires so far.
I don't recommend Shinko Stealths simply because i ran them on the 6r and couldn't get confident on them. They just felt slippery all the time.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
hm... so spirited riding? commuting?

if you are just going to the hills the the 2ct's, bt 016s, metzeler m3s are really good tires

I have had the metzelers and they have lasted me 5700 mi and two track days... that has to count for something!

if you are commuting, and riding the twisties on the side try the michelin pilot road 2s. I have 10000 miles on them and there is plenty of tread left!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The B-16's that came on my ZX-6R only lasted 4,000 miles so I replaced them with B-21's and they are great. I got 10,000 miles out of them on my old 650R. I'm just going to buy a separate set of wheels and tires for track days.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
The B-16's that came on my ZX-6R only lasted 4,000 miles so I replaced them with B-21's and they are great. I got 10,000 miles out of them on my old 650R. I'm just going to buy a separate set of wheels and tires for track days.
not cheap though... but I too did that last year, and Im really happy I did. I was able to splurge on some nice track rubber, and still have a tire that is appropriate for commuting and the occasional playing in the twisties. Though I will say the pilot road 2s can be taken to the edge (the no chicken strip edge) and still last over 10k miles...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.