Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, everything I've ever read says good tires are worth the money, bad tires will kill you, blah blah blah...

But no one seems to want to tell me what the good and bad tires are. Are expensive tire always better? What brands are good? What are the different type of tire and what do the differences mean?

I need a Dummies guide to Motorcycle tires.

-Andrew

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good tires 101:

Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin, Metzeler, and Avon.

Bad Tires: Anything made in China. (not kidding here)

Any of the 'good list' are somewhat pricey, but they're also about the best rubber you can buy. They'll all have excellent dry weather performance, and wet-weather performance nearly as good.

Hope this helps

Spoone

·
Registered
102 Posts
What bike? I put Pirelli Sport Demonds on my EX500 and they transformed the bike. So much easier to handle, so much smoother. A friend of mine, that I bought the bike from originally, got on it the other day and couldn't believe the difference the tires made.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In a nutshell, good tires = tires in good condition, properly inflated, and designed for your type of riding. e.g- a racing slick isn't made for day-to-day street riding, a high-milage bias-ply isn't made for extended or extreme lean angles. Stock tires on modern bikes are "good" in my book. Stock tires on seasoned bikes :wink: like the 500R could be replaced with better all around tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts