Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... as in the throttle...

question for everyone:

Do you blip the throttle downshifting? And if you do how much do you think that improves the accuracy of your shifts?

max

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You should blip the throttle, but I'm lazy and don't think about it most of the time. I think its more to keep the back tire from sliding than anything else.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm used to blipping the throttle, coz my first bikes were a bit temperamental if you didn't do it. as you said the rear would slide otherwise

but with these new bikes sometimes i cannot feel the difference. i read about the new kawi 'slipper clutch' which - i believe - is also fitted on my 636. Blipping or not blipping, the rear feels always very stable.

well i might carry on blipping - always sounds cool... 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A throttle blip is a gentle and quick opening of the throttle that raises the engine speed 1-2k rpm.

max

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
the zx6RR has a slipper clutch, but the 636 does not. I can downshit at almost any speed and as long as my tires are warm I won't slide the rear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont blip the throttle on my bike when downshifting but one of my riding buddies told me that my rear tire does lock up a bit when I downshift. I was actually suprised when he told me that as I have yet to actually feel it lock up or slid.

-Matt

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Not a rocket rider but I blip when I downshift on my cruiser.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something I noticed while watching some MotoGP tapes. MotoGP riders nowadays don't seem to blip the throttle when downshifting, although I remember they used to in the old days. Something to do with improved clutch technology?

:evil:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Let me tell you the slipper clutch is nice. Kind of made me lazy with my downshifting technique. The slipper clutch allows me to downshift aggressively without worrying about rear wheel hop. As one magazine reviewer said about the slipper clutch...."It's bombs away with downshifts on a slipper clutch."

·
Registered
78 Posts
i personally blip the throttle, purely cos if you get it wrong and shift too early without blipping you end up with either a skid or extremely high revs and flat nuts.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hmmm, I don't blip, but then again I have a question, are you guys talking about having the clutch in, giving it a little blip then downshifting, or downshifting and giving it a little blip before you release the clutch so your RPMS match the road speed? If that is the case it's sorta like double clutching a car :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Blip - On hard downshifts if you don't you'll see why you should. On a casual ride you can engage the clutch without worries on good road surface and conditions.

On a race track or aggressive street riding a slipper clutch is the only way to go!

·
Registered
78 Posts
by blipping i mean that i increase my revs slightly as i release the clutch, so that you dont get a nasty jolt as the clutch is released.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stuart said:
Hmmm, I don't blip, but then again I have a question, are you guys talking about having the clutch in, giving it a little blip then downshifting, or downshifting and giving it a little blip before you release the clutch so your RPMS match the road speed? If that is the case it's sorta like double clutching a car :)
Giving it a blip before you release the clutch, or as you release the clutch.

Double clutching involves shifting to neutral first, revving in neutral, and then shifting to gear. Even in a car, that takes too long to be worthwhile, but with a sequential tranny, it's probably an eternity :)

I've skipping my rear tire when downshifting, but that was because I accidentally hit 1st instead of 2nd :)

I usually blip, though, just because it seems to be a bit smoother, and smoother usually means less wear and tear.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, I know exactly what double clutching is, don't worry about that. I'm saying that it is like that because you're pretty much in neutral once you pull in the clutch because you're not giving power to the rear wheel, then in order to match your road speed to your RPM's you give the throttle a little "blip" and it becomes a smooth transition. I wouldn't have used the word double clutch if I didn't know how to use it unlike Vin Diesel in The Fast & The Furious (because there is no need to double clutch in a 1/4 mile race if you don't downshift).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stuart said:
Yeah, I know exactly what double clutching is, don't worry about that. I'm saying that it is like that because you're pretty much in neutral once you pull in the clutch because you're not giving power to the rear wheel, then in order to match your road speed to your RPM's you give the throttle a little "blip" and it becomes a smooth transition. I wouldn't have used the word double clutch if I didn't know how to use it unlike Vin Diesel in The Fast & The Furious (because there is no need to double clutch in a 1/4 mile race if you don't downshift).
There is no need to double clutch in a modern car EVER :)

I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what it meant, but go to your average car forum and ask everyone what it means, and you'll get 50 different responses (thanks, Vin...)

·
Registered
605 Posts
:) I'm not gonna be a junior in college @ 19 years of age for nothing :wink:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Stuart said:
:) I'm not gonna be a junior in college @ 19 years of age for nothing :wink:
I'm nearly 21 and I'm not even a junior in college yet.... :( but I think it has more to do with partying and work than smarts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey folks

i think there's been a little misunderstanding about what a blip of the throttle in downshifting is

this is how mr Don Kuhlman puts it:

[...] If it's a downshift, we should give the engine a little throttle right before the next gear engages whether we’re using the clutch or not to smoothly match road speed to engine speed.[...]
i recommed the following. very nice. a bit technical perhaps

http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/shifting.html

well... at least that's the throttle blip i've been using for the past 15 yrs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts