Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. It's winter here and i havent got to ride much maybe once or twice in the last few weeks. I dont want to winterize and even though im starting her up every few days to let it idle for a few minutes should i put a few drops in the tank at all? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Moisture is the issue...yeah... it can never hurt...even in the summer

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
I put stabil in the take during the winter and run seafoam periodically throughout the summer...

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Just curious. It's winter here and i havent got to ride much maybe once or twice in the last few weeks. I dont want to winterize and even though im starting her up every few days to let it idle for a few minutes should i put a few drops in the tank at all? Thanks for any help.
Sta-Bil = YES!

Starting it and letting it idle = NO!

You're doing more harm than good. You are contaminating the oil with fuel and combustion byproducts (acids), and circulating this mess, along with moisture from condensation (made worse by short-term heating and cooling) through your engine, but you are not getting it up to operating temperature long enough to boil these contaminants out of the oil.

If you're going to winterize, do it right and leave the bike alone if you aren't going to be able to ride it at least 20 miles or so. If you don't want to fully "winterize", then change the oil, run it up to temp to circulate the clean oil, shut it down, Sta-Bil or Seafoam the fuel, and leave it alone.

If you're worried about the battery, take it out and bring it into the house where it's warm... it'll last for months at 70 degrees.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
And even longer in the cold. Cold = good for storage of a chemical cell. Using the chemical cell while cold is what kills them.

A trickle charge every couple of weeks helps too.

I'm definitely a big +1 for stabil/seafoam though. Never had a problem with any small engine being stored that was stabil'd.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Cool, but not freezing cold.
Heat is an enemy of batteries, but room temp is most "comfortable".

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've never had a problem with freezing temps as long as the battery had a good mix of electrolytes. I made the mistake of adding water to a lawn tractor battery and not running it. Guess what happened. :mrgreen:

But I agree. I generally leave mine in the basement (around 60 degrees in the winter) on some foam insulation, and put a trickle charge on it every couple weeks. I have left it out in the shed with the bike too, as well as said tractor battery before the "incident".

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sta-Bil = YES!

Starting it and letting it idle = NO!

You're doing more harm than good. You are contaminating the oil with fuel and combustion byproducts (acids), and circulating this mess, along with moisture from condensation (made worse by short-term heating and cooling) through your engine, but you are not getting it up to operating temperature long enough to boil these contaminants out of the oil.

If you're going to winterize, do it right and leave the bike alone if you aren't going to be able to ride it at least 20 miles or so. If you don't want to fully "winterize", then change the oil, run it up to temp to circulate the clean oil, shut it down, Sta-Bil or Seafoam the fuel, and leave it alone.

If you're worried about the battery, take it out and bring it into the house where it's warm... it'll last for months at 70 degrees.
Thanks for the good info. Looks like it might get close to 50 degrees this weekend so im looking forward to riding.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I've never had a problem with freezing temps as long as the battery had a good mix of electrolytes. I made the mistake of adding water to a lawn tractor battery and not running it. Guess what happened. :mrgreen:
For the most part, yes. As with antifreeze (or salt on the roads, etc...), anything in solution with anything lowers it's freezing point and raises it's boiling point since it cannot change phase without the solution separating. Ever wonder why you get SO plastered so quickly when you leave the beer in the freezer too long or stick it on dry ice and it turns into a beer slushie? It's an old bootlegger's trick to "fortify" wine by freezing it and skimming off the ice... the alcohol and flavor remain :biggrin:

I don't know exactly what the freezing point of a water/sulfuric acid mix is, but it is well below zero... never going to be an issue here in SoCal.

But allow it to freeze, or store it discharged (even if it doesn't freeze) and it's going to be DOA next time you need it. Pb batteries don't like to sit in a discharged state.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Thanks for the good info. Looks like it might get close to 50 degrees this weekend so im looking forward to riding.
Ya baby... if it's above 35, I'll hit the road as long as the roads are dry and safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts