Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you heard of the new chain that BMW has developed? They claim it never needs lubrication and it never needs adjustment. That is quite a feat if they can pull it off. Apparently they are using some type of industrial diamond coating.

It looks pretty high tech.... and expensive but might be worth it if it works. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It probably would kill off the chain industry if their claims are true , would have to have a good warranty with it, and maybe an exchange service in the event of failure , that would make it very expensive , cant wait to see the outcome.:unsure:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
News to me (y)
I can see these new chains being an improvement but their claims are at best wishful thinking imho :unsure:
I see Regina on the side plate but their an Italian company so I wonder what if any collaboration is going on with the Germans..

·
Registered
785 Posts
Current chains don't need lubrication between pins and rollers, they are self-contained, only between naked rollers and sprocket teeth, and here is where a coating would make a difference, but would eventually wear, sooner or later, and then it would be getting a new chain.

........so the question is; how long??

·
Sick Puppy
3,206 Posts
If the chain is made stronger as to not wear out, that would make the wear item the sprockets. I'd rather replace the chain.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the chain is made stronger as to not wear out, that would make the wear item the sprockets. I'd rather replace the chain.
Excellent point Ricksza. I think BMW plans to diamond coat the sprockets as well. But as others have, noted time will tell. I will wait for some long term testing results before I jump in. But the mess and hassle of chain lube has always been a sore point for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like the 100 MPG automotive carburetor? Let's hope we are beyond that.

I see BMW touting this as an advantage to buy a BMW. Eventually they may start selling this to to others. Who knows? Maybe this venture proves to be more profitable to BMW than selling its motorcycles.

If anyone finds more information about BMW's plans, please post here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Amazing, hope it is true but I am very skeptical. I truly hope there there is no one out there that even remotely believes in the 100mpg carb or even the 70mpg carb.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But, but, but. Surely you believe in the guy who invented a car that runs on water right? It was right there on YouTube so it has to be true right?

I think the point Greenisbest was making and the point that I was making is that sometimes if a good invention threatens a corporation's cash cow, the corporation may buy out the rights and shelve it.

Although I don't think anyone has achieved 100 MPG from an unmodified production car, the 2020 Toyota Corolla (not a hybrid) has been measured at over 50 MPG, so I would not say it is impossible to hit 100 MPG.

But if you allow modifications... Wow. Here is some info from Wiki.

In 1939, a group of Shell scientists based in a research laboratory in Wood River, Illinois, USA, had a friendly bet to see who could drive their own car furthest on one gallon of fuel. The winner managed a fuel economy of 49.73 mpgUS (4.730 L/100 km; 59.72 mpgimp).[6] A repeat of the challenge yielded dramatically improved results over the years:

• 149.95 mpg‑US (1.5686 L/100 km; 180.08 mpg‑imp) with a 1947 Studebaker in 1949
  • 244.35 mpg‑US (0.9626 L/100 km; 293.45 mpg‑imp) with a 1959 Fiat 600 in 1968[7]
  • 376.59 mpg‑US (0.62459 L/100 km; 452.27 mpg‑imp) with a 1959 Opel in 1973.
A world record was set by a French team in 2003 called Microjoule with a performance of 10,705 mpg‑imp (0.02639 L/100 km; 8,914 mpg‑US).[8] The current record is 12,665 mpg‑US (0.018572 L/100 km; 15,210 mpg‑imp), set in 2005 by the PAC-Car II.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The theory is sound. If diamond can cut glass, stone, marble, pavement etc, clearly then it is durable and very hard so road dust, dirt etc should not harm the chain in any way. And since diamond and nickel does not rust, it should not need lube. But the proof is in the pudding. Let's wait for some test results before we get too excited.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts