Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering for all of you out there who have installed your own aftermarket exhaust pipes what tools you used to remove the acorn bolts that attach the head pipes. I have some cobra slashdowns on the way and I want to make sure i have all the necessary tools to complete the job. I ask about the acorn nuts specifically because 2 of the nuts look really confined space and movement wise. Any tips and recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Now if I could only curb my excitement I might be able to actually focus on other things until the pipes arrive :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have a 900LT, and I used a extension on a regular rachet. They came loose with out to much problem. The pipes are the same on both bikes.

D

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Once you get the heatshields off you should have no problems with the acorn nuts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cool I won't worry about it then, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any unexpected suprises from those who have already gone down this road already.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Metric socket set with a 3 inch and maybe a 6 inch extension. I just like getting the part of the wrench that leaves scratches on the chromy stuff. While I have it up, 12 foot pounds on the acorn nuts to clamp the pipes on. 18 on the nuts and bolts that suspend the pipes.

To do: Remove the 5mm bolt that clamps the heat shields to the pipes. Loosen the bolts (2 each) that tighten the hose clamps around the mufflers that the heat shields mount with. When you get them to where you can slide them off the heat shield flange they are loose enough. Slide them off and pull the heat shield away a bit and forward to clear the muffler and then take take the rear flange that you unbolted and pull it past the pipe. Do both. Loosen the acorn nuts. Loosen the intermuffler clamp. Remove the 3 muffler hangine bolts and the one nut. Remove the acorn nuts. Gently pull the front muffler header clear of the engine jug and pull the muffler forward to dis engage the inter muffler pipe which is supporting the muffler. Place gently to the side. Pull the rear muffler header clear of the engine and pull the muffler up off the stud that is holding it. Now, line up your new pipes and reverse the procedure.

I think i"ve read multiple times to have washers for the Cobra or Vance and Hines muffler flanges or the Acorn nuts will bottom out before you get them tight, the flanges are just a bit narrower than stock.

Swapping between stock and bored stock only takes about 15-20 minutes. Would take longer now as I have the stockers boxed up and sitting in the corner. Course the wife just complained about the louder pipes, but then again, I usually warm the engine while putting my gloves on when it's under 25 out. In the summer I'll start it and roll.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Be glad you have removable heat shields on the new pipes. Putting the front acorn nuts on new pipes with attached shields was an event.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, excellent advice I am so full of excitement I really don't think i'll be able to wait for the pipes to arrive.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You better wait, that exhaust coming straight out of the cylinder is hot and will singe your leg hair!

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Heatshields....Cobra pipes.....what "lovely" memories!

Don't forget to completely polish your pipes before you crank it up after the install. This will prevent the oils left from your hands (finger and handprints) from being imprinted onto the pipes when the pipes heat up. I was so paranoid I polished them like 4 or 5 times before my first crank.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I just used 10MM wrench & flat screwdriver, I tjhink that's all required. + new gaskets

1 - 11 of 11 Posts