Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
i told you, i lay the trans on its side (a half) , hold the top half and hit the crank with the mallet. Also sometimes there are some tabs on the case halves you can tap a bit.

basically you make a box out of 2x4 wood or what ever to set it on. I used a plastic bin as in the pictures i posted, it catches oil.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats to get the crank out!ah yes.. the hammer is used for gettin that out!! just gotta be more clear man i dont know what your saying im learning, iv read that manual alot i just wanna try it im gonna get a newer bike sometime hopefully anyways so i dont mind messin with this one see if i can get it running again, did you mean take it to shop to have them open the case up instead of buying the case splitter!?, well question is what will they charge to do that 10000000? lol? tool is 60$

you dont use blunt objects what u mean? no screw drivers lol?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i gotta buy the flywheel puller , thats only 10 bucks another 7 for shipping

case splitter 60, not to bad compared to the motion pro for 160

clutch holder 15$ and if i go over hundred at rocky mountain its free shipping i liked those lil fuel filters and things like that hehehehehe :biggrin:

thanks for reading leme know what u think i wanna order this stuff tomorrow..

i really wana buy some stuff off that site it looks like they got alot of stuff as well as some good brands

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, now is the question about the crank installer, i was told i can do the hot cold method,

but i was also told i could use crank installer for one side, then use case splitter to pull in other side of crank, not to sure how that would work but any idea's?
thoughts?
info?
input?

lol thanks guys

·
Registered
16 Posts
A manual wouldn't be a bad idea ether. I did an 85 CR80R for my first project about 20 yrs ago. I was just a kid. The book helped a lot. I've done enough of them now so I no longer need anything but specs. The book will tell you that you need a bunch of fancy tools but most of them can be easily gotten around. The fly wheel puller will also work on most Jap. bikes 2 and 4 stroke. I learned the hard way as a kid that you want to thread the puller in as far as possible to avoid pealing the threads off.
If you have an impact gun you won't need a clutch holder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i like the case splitter so i already got that, flywheel puller was 10 bucks got that...clutch holder for 15 not to bad...even tho its a lil to big for my project....

seems like the only other tool is the crank installer..(tusk).. for me...

im not sure how to bypass that... i just dont get what it has to do,like pushes cases together or pulls them together i really dont know...so i wouldnt know how to make one on my own, even if i did...whats it gonna cost me...

and how good will it work.... on my crank theres only threads on 1 side to...
i really dont wana buy that crank installer cause i need the cash !!!!..

but if i can not use it, that would be great... i just dont get it, someone else has tried to explain it to me on another site,

put 2 old bearings on 1 side, some washers, then a bolt on end of thread...

i was even talking to my dad , he says he sees how it works but i still dont...any info u can hand over to a young one ?

thanks for reading bud..

later:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put my cranks in the freezer to shrink them and use longer bolts to suck the two halves together. I crank the bolts a little at a time going evenly with a small piece of oak between the crank wheels to protect the crank wheels from pinching. I've done at least 30 bottom ends this way and never had a problem. I've never seen a crank installer before.
Are they expensive? Ether way you will want to slide something between the crank wheels as a safety precaution.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The crank puller I saw at Rocky Mountain was a combination case splitter and crank puller. It also can pull the crank back in too. Great tool. I'll buy one before I split my case again. There's a video on you tube showing the tool being used. Well, I'll probably just make one but it's still a great tool.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The crank puller I saw at Rocky Mountain was a combination case splitter and crank puller. It also can pull the crank back in too. Great tool. I'll buy one before I split my case again. There's a video on you tube showing the tool being used. Well, I'll probably just make one but it's still a great tool.
tusk ..on rocky, they have 2 serparte tools, the case splitter for 60, and the crank installer for 60(if ur in canada shipping will vary, 30, if ur price is under 100)...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put my cranks in the freezer to shrink them and use longer bolts to suck the two halves together. I crank the bolts a little at a time going evenly with a small piece of oak between the crank wheels to protect the crank wheels from pinching. I've done at least 30 bottom ends this way and never had a problem. I've never seen a crank installer before.
Are they expensive? Ether way you will want to slide something between the crank wheels as a safety precaution.
what you mean use longer bolts to suck the two halves together?, u mean u tighten longer crankcase bolts? and it sucks together?...

small piece of oak between the crank wheels? what are the crank wheels?..

60 bucks..sorta exspensive when u tax on the 30 shippnig if ur in canada, i saw the installer on youtube, it seems like i could make one know what i mean..

i called bike store and they talked about hot cold method alot...both bike stores i called...known well mech's there...

i dont know what u mean bro can u explain that to me a bit?, sounds like u dont do the hot method just the cold method...

im sorta new to this, this is my first bottom end top end rebuild, i do have manual im not that dumb but

i just dont see how to do it without the tools, i really need a video of someone doing it, this is the only thing that confuses me man help me out a bit here broskee..:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
you dont really need a case spliter... you can jusst use screw drivers and work your way around while not trying to ruin the case.. you place them in the motor mount holes and ont the tabs that the place on the case's.... Now with putting the case half's back togther-first place the main bearings in the case's on both sides.. this just makes it easier when putting it back together.. make sure all the transmisson gears are wear there supposed to be... then slide the crank into one half of the motor making sure it goes in straight... then three bond the edges wear the two half will come toggether(if you have a gasket for that then use it) after applying the three bond slide the other half of the motor onto the crank making sure it goes ont straight.. once the two halfs meet simply thread a couple of the bolts in to make sure the to halfs of the motor come together okay.... then spin the gears and make sure there fine....it seems hard but once you know what were saying its not to bad... I rebulid motors for a living at my company so you figure out little ways to make life easier.. hope this helps..
Little Fenton

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the tips man

well i just think getting the tranny in is gonna be alil tough i was thinking of taking it to shop and paying them 35 to seal it up for me, and get crank into cases for me but i did want to learn myself, just heating up the cases sorta freaks me out, not the bearings!! but!! the case halfs & getting the crank into the case halfs sorta seems scary to me, id hate to put it in crooked or just do it wrong and make a huge mistake or have to open the case up again.

cause like thats my next step iv never done it, when i put crank into one side any tips on that? heating etc? i talk to a good bike store and he was saying u dont really have to heat it much, or at all i dont remember or he said u didnt have to freeze crank , u just had to heat the one case or something anyways! thats my next step, im sorta worried about the new piston im gonna put in as well, i dont think ill have teh cash for a good month to replate it , im gonna be dead broke after i spend the cash to get crank repunched in and out so i was thinking least i could do is put a new piston in then when i rebuild again replate it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't listen to little fenton. Screwdrivers are not the way. The bearings are a pressed fit and hold the case halves together along with the case bolts. If he cares to argue just read the rest of the postings about splitting cases. I could almost think he's trying to make you screw it up. Screw drivers will damage your case, possibly bend your crank shaft, and will do nothing to separate the bearings from the crank. It's the last thing to do. Besides, look at how many posts he's made in here. 4.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah doesnt matter i already have a case splitter..

he has gave me some good info and im sure he can continue

iv seen someone use a screwdriver it does damage case but it works.. and will seal back up..

anyways he got me thinking what im doing next and im sure he could help me with the rest of the problems i got seems like he knows , cause i dont think i can get that crank into case without some more help so ya im working with the info i got lol...

but anyways im still waiting on crank rebuild before i can continue of course

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't listen to little fenton. Screwdrivers are not the way. The bearings are a pressed fit and hold the case halves together along with the case bolts. If he cares to argue just read the rest of the postings about splitting cases. I could almost think he's trying to make you screw it up. Screw drivers will damage your case, possibly bend your crank shaft, and will do nothing to separate the bearings from the crank. It's the last thing to do. Besides, look at how many posts he's made in here. 4.
i didn't know that i like to argu, im not trying to offend people.....
but he was making it sound like he was still trying to split the case's .. NOT seperating the bearings from the crank.....yes the bearings are pressed fit on the crank on certain bikes... my kx 250 and many other kawi's that i have worked on have the bearings pressed into the case's.... but if not then use a gear puller or a bearing puller.... you dont need to heat them up or freeze them to take the main bearings off or putting them back on....

hey now this will make me have 5 posts :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.