Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a VN900 with 20K Kilometers. On a recent ride my bike engine started to rattle. It doesnt do it at idle but only when you rev it up. I figured it must be a rocker problem as I thought the noise was coming from the rear cylinder. I have removed the rear head cover and checked the shim clearance. Funny thing is when i set the crank at TDC for the "R" rear cylinder , I cannot get a feeler gauge between the shim and rocker. When I set the crank at TDC for the "F" front cylinder I have clearance at the rear rockers, but barely .010 . Am I doing something wrong?

Help.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Not sure about the 900. My old 1500 has a mechanical compression release on one exhaust lobe on each cylinder. If your has one, maybe that's what's fouling you up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK.......Brain fart! All measurements are in metric, not inches. And yes......rotate crank until both int. and exh. are loose on the cylinders TDC.

Ill be OK.

:-D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still not sure about the rattle, all valves were within specs. Changed oil and filter, no sediment or metal particles in the old oil. Will send sample out for analysis tomorrow. Screen was clean. Changed spark plugs. Just waiting to buy my torque wrench tomorrow and will put the bike back together. Then I fire it up for a test. If I still have the engine noise, it's off to the dealer.

PS. Got a great deal on a 3/8 Dr. 20 - 200 IN LB Torque wrench for $35.00 CDN.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
cam chain, cam chain tensioner inbetween teeth , reeds... piston cracked , exhaust leak , loose bolt, etc. ????

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm in the process of making and sending a set of cam chain tensioners for a Vulcan 1500 to a guy in Texas. Seems they have cam chain tensioner issues like numerous other Kaws do. I'm doing a cottage industry out of selling manual tensioners under the name Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners and having a blast selling them world wide - about 80 units in 22 U.S. states and 12 countries so far.

I don't know if the 900 has similar tensioner issues as well, but I'd think you'd hear the rattle from the cam drive at idle too. I did with both my KLX and my Zephyr. Listen around the engine to pin point where it's coming from, cam drive area is tensioner and head area is valve/compression release if it has the release. On the KLX it is very identifiable - cam drive on the left, valves pretty much centered, and compression release right front of head. Maybe talk with a mechanic/service manager and preferably have them listen too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts