Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1989 Ninja 750 ZX F3 with less than 10K. I thought I was gonna be the next Top Gun motorcycle wannabe, but then kids happened. A couple of questions:
Windshield is cracked 39154-1093 is part number - any interchangeability? Any used non-cracked windshields out there? It is red and ebony - does anyone know the paint matches for small chips? Just had it detailed and it looks beautiful! Looking to give it to my son, after he takes lessons from ABATE.

Best, Brian
1989 Kaw Ninja.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Gorgeous bike!

Have you looked at repairing the windshield?
If you drill a hole at the end of the crack, that will stop the crack from spreading and should allow you to gently pry the crack open enough to inject adhesive. I would do some google research before attempting this however.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
252 Posts
Try Zero Gravity, I purchased one from them a few years back for the same bike. USA company, don't have a link right now. Zero Gravity windshields.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
252 Posts
Pretty sure this is the one for your Ninja 750R.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pretty sure this is the one for your Ninja 750R.
It should fit, your bike was known as the GPX750 over here in Europe.
Parts won’t be easy to come by though as it wasn’t the most popular of bikes; the ZXR750H was introduced the following year.

There’s plenty for sale on eBay, mainly from Germany or Italy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For chip touch-up paint what I've done is take a piece of bodywork like the fender to Walmart or some other big store and compare nail polish colors. They come in a huge variety of shades and you can see the actual color through the bottle unlike spray paint. There's usually a clear top coat too in the same brand. Dollar stores are also a source.

If you can wait a couple of months www.aliexpress.com is a source for otherwise super expensive or unobtainable parts bits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
I have a 1989 Ninja 750 ZX F3 with less than 10K. I thought I was gonna be the next Top Gun motorcycle wannabe, but then kids happened. A couple of questions:
Windshield is cracked 39154-1093 is part number - any interchangeability? Any used non-cracked windshields out there? It is red and ebony - does anyone know the paint matches for small chips? Just had it detailed and it looks beautiful! Looking to give it to my son, after he takes lessons from ABATE.

Best, Brian
View attachment 43198
Zero G definitely.

I am sure your son, who we can assume will be a brand-new rider, will thoroughly enjoy a motorcycle which is absolutely, positively way too much power and a major control challenge for a new rider to handle. Sorry, Brian, I don't mean to be a smarty-pants, but that's just sheer idiocy handing that rig to a brandy-new rider. That rider needs a year or two on a 250-650 range in increments of experience before tackling that bike. But you do what you whish. Cheers.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
252 Posts
Thanks for posting that video, really enjoyed it. I have a funny story to tell about the Top Gun movie and a job I had a few years ago. As an engineer by trade, I was asked to attend a presentation put on by some company selling some 'new' equipment. The sales presenter introduced himself to a bunch of us technical types sitting around the table. He told us his favorite movie of all time was Top Gun and he'd watched it a hundred times or better. Of course I've seen the movie, didn't think it was that great to watch it that many times, but to each his own. The sales guy said a bunch of odd things witch made me think there was alot of BS in him. So I asked him about the movie to get a feel for his sincerity. I asked him what kind of bike was Tom riding...he hesitates a bit then says..Harley, then corrects himself and says Triumph. Then again says maybe a Honda. I thought wtf, this guy watched that movie a hundred times and had no clue what kind of bike it was? Laughed my ... off. You would think a sales guy who claimed to know so much about the movie Top Gun and told people this would know that. We declined to buy his equipment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for posting that video, really enjoyed it. I have a funny story to tell about the Top Gun movie and a job I had a few years ago. As an engineer by trade, I was asked to attend a presentation put on by some company selling some 'new' equipment. The sales presenter introduced himself to a bunch of us technical types sitting around the table. He told us his favorite movie of all time was Top Gun and he'd watched it a hundred times or better. Of course I've seen the movie, didn't think it was that great to watch it that many times, but to each his own. The sales guy said a bunch of odd things witch made me think there was alot of BS in him. So I asked him about the movie to get a feel for his sincerity. I asked him what kind of bike was Tom riding...he hesitates a bit then says..Harley, then corrects himself and says Triumph. Then again says maybe a Honda. I thought wtf, this guy watched that movie a hundred times and had no clue what kind of bike it was? Laughed my ... off. You would think a sales guy who claimed to know so much about the movie Top Gun and told people this would know that. We declined to buy his equipment.
The producers requested free motorcycles but were turned down by Kawasaki so the ones they bought were repainted with every Kawasaki badge removed. Really a stupid move on Kawasaki's part seeing how Smokey And The Bandit made the Trans-Am a huge seller. GM provided Al Needham the T/As.

·
Registered
176 Posts
He may have been BSing but this is truth; for me Top Gun has a emotional attachment because there are some weird parallels to my life at that time. In 1985 I was in the first year of marriage and joined the Marine Corps 1st Recon at Camp Pendleton, CA. I picked a rental house in Ocean Beach down the road a few miles from Point Loma where Charlie's house was (about an hour away from base to keep her away from all the Marines at Oceanside). My wife wore her hair and makeup exactly like Charlie, I wore mine like Maverick, and I had a Honda CB750F. We went to see the movie when it debuted in San Diego and in the evening light I rode us down to the marina to replay the kissing scene on the bike. Every time I watch Top Gun these memories come flooding back.

·
Registered
273 Posts
All this talk about Top Gun but the OP’s bike has nothing at all to do with the film!

Great nostalgia though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think Scientology prohibits men from straddling anything but their captive underage virgins in secret ceremonies (ref: Eyes Wide Shut, style) so they must have had a stand-in on the H2 for that whacko Cruise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Zero G definitely.

I am sure your son, who we can assume will be a brand-new rider, will thoroughly enjoy a motorcycle which is absolutely, positively way too much power and a major control challenge for a new rider to handle. Sorry, Brian, I don't mean to be a smarty-pants, but that's just sheer idiocy handing that rig to a brandy-new rider. That rider needs a year or two on a 250-650 range in increments of experience before tackling that bike. But you do what you whish. Cheers.
Thanks for the input. My son is also a single engine pilot (not a jet pilot), so he already understands the danger of machines and how to handle them. Also, he understands that it is absolutely necessary to complete ABATE training before even considering riding that bike. He is nearly 30 (not an 18 year old), so I will give him credit for being wiser. Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just to be honest I bought a Honda CB750F Super Sport as a first bike when I was 20. Didn't crash it but dropped it in the dealership parking lot in Fairbanks, Alaska.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think Scientology prohibits men from straddling anything but their captive underage virgins in secret ceremonies (ref: Eyes Wide Shut, style) so they must have had a stand-in on the H2 for that whacko Cruise.
Stand in for Cruise? I thought he needed a booster seat :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts