Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wild Rebels MC
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a torque wrench for basic maintenance on my vn 900 - 2008 classic. Problem is I know nothing about how these wrenches work. Do they work with a rachet set or do they fit one sized bolt? I am a noob so talk slowly :)

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Depends on what you buy. Some are ratheting and some aren't. If you're looking to do everything on the bike you're going to need more than one size.

You're going to need a 100 foot pound. and a 0 to 50 inch pound then maybe a 50 to 250 inch pound. But that is just from what I have done recently on my 900. May need more to cover it all.

Some will have a 1/4 inch drive, some 3/8 and some 1/2 inch.

Then there is the way you use it. If you move really fast you'll not have as much torque as what is set. If you move really slow you'll have more. Need to move smoothly. And then if you drop it. All bets are off of it being accruate.

I used to calibrate these in the Navy. If you treat them right they usually stay pretty accurate. But you also get what you pay for.

·
Wild Rebels MC
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you use a set of ratchet wrench heads with the torque wrench? A torque wrench is a handle that measures the pressure on the bolt but you need a ratchet set to use it, right?

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I have eight torque wrenches of three different types (and there's more) ranging from 1/4" to 3/4". I think Snap-On devotes six pages or more in their catalog to torque wrenches.

·
Registered
63 Posts
And don't use it for a long handled ratchet to loosen bolts. A torque wrench has one function - to tighten a bolt to a specific tightness.

·
Wild Rebels MC
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what would a good basic set of wrenches be to get for basic maintenance on my vulcan 900

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
So what would a good basic set of wrenches be to get for basic maintenance on my vulcan 900
full set of open/box wrenches to 18mm (I prefer two sets)
22mm open/box wrench(rear axel nut)
sockets basic metric set 3/8ths drive
22 and 27mm 1/2 drive socket and torque rachet (Rear axel bolt and steering head nut)
Metric hex sockets 3/8ths drive
Good screw drivers
full set of pliers (channel locks, standard type and needle nose)

Don't go cheap on the tools, get the best quality you can afford. They will last you a lifetime if you take care of them and probably never fail. I personnally use craftsman.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts