Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I just recently completed a 1000 mile tour of Florida on my 500R, and I'm happy to report she performed beautifully. Complete comfort from Sanford to Key West. :) I picked up a set of Cortech Saddle+Tail bags for the trip and I would highly recommend them - it's unbelievable how much stuff they'll hold. I did notice while on the trip, however, that I found myself comfortable with my the balls of my feet resting on the pegs (and so nowhere near the controls..) I ordered some rearsets from Woodcraft because that seems to be what everybody recommends, and they're due to arrive tomorrow or the next day. My question is, can anybody give me some advice on the install? I've never messed with this part of my bike before, my experience so far has been strictly electronic, so any tips, hints, nonos, etc. would be greatly appeciated!

Adam

·
Registered
42 Posts
i bought a pair of cortech bags w/my 500R, and i can definately agree with you.
I use them to carry all my books to school. They don't require much adjustment to fit to the bike either.
unfortunately i can't help you much with the install though. :-(

·
Registered
512 Posts
u guys have any pics of the bags or sets your talking about. i am considering getting a new seat but would like to see the differences if possible.

my bike likes to try to slide me off the stock seat :neutral:
dam mods :grin:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The rearsets are easy to install and pretty straight forward, but they are supposed to be for racing only, so you'll notice some issues, like not having the rear brake light come on from the rear brake with the rearsets. I find them sooo much more comfortable though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been looking at them also. Woodcraft now offers a $18.00 option now to get your rear break light to work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Freakin, if I have any trouble I know who to talk to. I'll have to look into that $18.00 option right away, too, wanna do things right. I took a few pictures of the bags while they were on my bike this afternoon and uploaded a collage - the file is over 0.5 megs though (jpg) so be patient with the poor VT server it's hosted on...

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/adsmith4/Bags.jpg

lemme know if that link doesn't work!

EDIT: hey could you post a link to that little $18 brake light thing? I can't seem to find it on the woodcraft site. Is it the "brake pin w/bolt"?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha good point. consider it done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sent them an e-mail at around 6:40am EST, we'll see how quick they are to respond - I'll post whatever I find out!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Umm.. dumb question... do the rearsets mount farther bag than the factory pegs? Just outta curiosity since I'm gonna be taking my bike long distances, so if it will make it more comfy than I'm gonna haveto add it to my wishlist :p

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
JTpaintball70 said:
Umm.. dumb question... do the rearsets mount farther bag than the factory pegs? Just outta curiosity since I'm gonna be taking my bike long distances, so if it will make it more comfy than I'm gonna haveto add it to my wishlist :p
Back and up from the factory. Try riding for an hour+ with the palms of your feet on the stock pegs. That is where you are going to be positioned with the rearsets.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Response!

Well I got a letter back from the president of WC, Eric Wood. This is what he sent me:

"I have not put one on an EX, but I feel pretty comfortable telling you to buy the coarse thread one (03-0100) as every Kawasaki I have ever sold one for took that model. Thanks.

Eric Wood
President
Woodcraft Technologies, Inc."

So - I'll be ordering a coarse thread one!

PS - I was snooping on another forum and found out that you can use '98-'02 ZX-6R mirrors to replace the OEM 500R ones, and that they are supposed to fit without modification in addition to looking cool and giving better vision. Anybody confirm/deny that?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Daekar, like the clear blinker lenses. Was wandering what they would look like on the 500. Have been looking at them and the clear LED taillight.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I like the clear lenses too - tell you what though, it's hard to get ahold of red bulbs. If I didn't have running lights it would be a lot easier.. but then again, what fun would that be? :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts