Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been seriously looking at a more otur style bike these days, and noticed a few things.

choices are limited for the good ones.

1) Honda Goldwing- always been a fore runner, but it looks more like a sport tour now

2) kawi concours - good reviews,nice bike, but doesnt look passanger friendly for long hauls, appears to be more of a one person tour

3) yamaha venture - looks good, has a lot of good features, but they seem to be disounted features ( 14 watt stereo)

4) HD's

everything else seems to be a regular cruiser, they slap a back rest on, windshield, and some bags anf give it a cruiser designation

I looked at the venture, theres $2000 difference really between it and the harley, but the harley has more electronics,better sound system, ABS brakes, so the $2000 difference goes away very quickly.

I just dont like the gold wing.

Now the nomads I have seen with the batwing fairings are the only other decent tour bikes out there ( someone here has the green one that looks very sweet)

but, the question is, is the cost value worth it to build a nomad to get the features of the harley ?

or will Kawi get off their butts, and finally release a new nomad voyager without boning it ?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
SdBrit,
Happy New Year. Have you given thought to Victory's new VISION, either in the Street or Tour versions? How about the new Triumph Rocket111 Tourer coming out in 2008? Good Luck!
Painless Black Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

2005 Drifter 800

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SdBrit,
Happy New Year. Have you given thought to Victory's new VISION, either in the Street or Tour versions? How about the new Triumph Rocket111 Tourer coming out in 2008? Good Luck!
Painless Black Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

2005 Drifter 800

we actually had one of those on our last ride..................we told the guy he needed to get FAA clearance to ride

it was definetly different, but might be too buck rogers for me.

I like the upright older style bike look, but want the goodies too

kinda like, I want my cake and to eat it too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you looked at the Yamaha Stratoliner...Midnight
Starts at about $15,000 dollars and still below that of a HD.
Plus the windshield ,bags and backrest are keyed for easy on or off!

To top it off it's 1852cc

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at each brand, But I want the fiberglass fairing and stuff, otherwise, with a windshield, I already have that on the shadow with the trunk and hard bags

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
but, the question is, is the cost value worth it to build a nomad to get the features of the harley ?
I think you should pm lobocop and see what he could do fairing-wise for a Nomad. He's pretty good at making those kind of things.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
My Dad's got a Harley Electra Glide Classic with the full fairing, crash bar fairings, hardbags all around. He does many 1000 mile rides and does at least one 2-3 week ride every year that is 6000+ miles (they went to Alaska this year from SW Ks). I've rode passenger on it for a 1400 mile trip and it was nice and comfy. He picked his up new a couple years ago for around $18K. He shopped for quite a while though before finding that deal.

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts

I was quite impressed with BMW's R1200GS engineering when I rented this bike in Australia for a week tour. I wouldn't want to go 2-up with it, but solo it was nice and when you cranked on the throttle, it really could accelerate. Handling and ride was superb and I could ride it all day with the stock seat. Course if you have to have the full electronics complement, this isn't your bike.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Sorry brit, but I personally don't think you can beat the Yamaha Venture for the money. My 2006 was $15, 200 out the door as opposed to the HD Ultra Classic with less amenities for $26,000. That is not to mention the 5 YEAR WARRANTY (completely transferrable) out of the crate. She is one sweet touring bike, and the V4 1300 has super power and torque, and the "classic" motorcycle styling (which I prefer) as opposed to the "rocketship" look. I have yet to find a situation while riding that she can't handle with ease. My buddy paid $27,000 for his 2007 HD Ultra Classic and the only thing it has that my Venture doesn't is the Harley Davidson name, a 6 speed tranny, and more costly service charges and parts. We have been more than satisfied with the Venture.

As far as the Nomad, I have gone on record many times stating that Kawi would have a sweet bike if they would dress one out like the Yamaha Venture. I would definitely consider buying one if they did it right.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry brit, but I personally don't think you can beat the Yamaha Venture for the money. My 2006 was $15, 200 out the door as opposed to the HD Ultra Classic with less amenities for $26,000. That is not to mention the 5 YEAR WARRANTY (completely transferrable) out of the crate. She is one sweet touring bike, and the V4 1300 has super power and torque, and the "classic" motorcycle styling (which I prefer) as opposed to the "rocketship" look. I have yet to find a situation while riding that she can't handle with ease. My buddy paid $27,000 for his 2007 HD Ultra Classic and the only thing it has that my Venture doesn't is the Harley Davidson name, a 6 speed tranny, and more costly service charges and parts. We have been more than satisfied with the Venture.

As far as the Nomad, I have gone on record many times stating that Kawi would have a sweet bike if they would dress one out like the Yamaha Venture. I would definitely consider buying one if they did it right.

thats a lot cheaper than I have seen them around here for................usually around $17200, but to be fair, I havent ridden it yet

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
thats a lot cheaper than I have seen them around here for................usually around $17200, but to be fair, I havent ridden it yet
Yeah, mine had a MSRP of $17,200. Now I think the MSRP is $17,500, but I know a guy who got one for $15,750 out the door about 2 months ago. :D

·
Scootter_man
157 Posts
Any feelings about the fjr1300. I have the same issue deciding on a touring bike.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
for me, I just not into the sport tour look, otherwise the goldwing is the ultimate tour bike, but it looks more sportie now.

I have heard good things though about the fjr.

the crappy thing, you gotta wait for bike shows to test ride the japaneese bikes, unlike HD's, I can go rent one for a day and really try it out

I am going to look around for places that do rentals and see if I can try some of the others

1 - 20 of 39 Posts