Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Dead man walking
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm already thinking of how to get my bike out to St. Louis if I go when the weather is nice. Now, I have a large truck, longbed and such. But the problem is, I have a big toolbox back there, and it cuts down on length, and a motorcycle would stick out the back (not to mention getting up there in the first place anyway). Then I'd need some sort of bed/tailgate extender, and help getting it up there. And I need to be able to do this alone, quickly, and discreetly. Reason for that being the place I stay is my friend's, and is fairly classy and they don't look kindly on bulky crap. Or old pickup trucks, but I can slide that.

So, in the bed is out of the question. Need minimal junk. No ramps. No trailer. No motorcycle "carrier", where you park it on a cargo rack sideways. Then I came across something that, nearly, seems like the perfect solution.

eBay Motors: MOTORCYCLE TRAILER CARRIER HAULER - Harley or Sportbike (item 180207268201 end time Jan-18-08 19:05:12 PST)

Is there any adverse effect on towing a bike at highway speeds in neutral? I know you can't do it with a car, or at least with an automatic. I don't see why it'd hurt it, but I'd like to check with the more experienced first. Other people seem to have used it fine.

But something like that would be perfect. It's small, can be put away, and is very simple and easy to use. No loading, minimal tying down, and easy to take on and off. I need to have some steel tubing welded on my bumper by a professional to use the Reese-style carrier, but that's no big deal, I don't think.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Maybe wear on the tire? Is it just me, or does anyone else think that going around a turn with the bike strapped to the bumper like that would cause the tire to slide some? wouldn't the turning forces cause you to have to drag the bikes rear tire sideways?

·
Dead man walking
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about that. I think the contact patch of the rear motorcycle tire would be so minimal it'd just turn right with the vehicle (think of doing a wheelie on a bicycle).

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Seems like a workable idea. You might want to take the belt or chain off it. then what happens in the tranny is a not issue. I don't think there would be a lot of tire wear.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've seen those and I'm intrigued by them. It would be nice to find someone who actually uses it, but it is a cheap option that requires no maintenance or storage space.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
It should work fine. Tire wear is a non issue unless you plan to tow 1000's of miles. For your particular situation, it is great alternative.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I was thinking about one of these for when we go to the shore. It's only about two hours away. I usually take the bike, and the wife takes the cage with the kids and all the stuff. She would like it more if I rode with them.

I like having the bike there, not just for rides, but if I have to head back to the office for anything, they still have a vehicle to run around in. This tow hitch would be a pretty easy way to go. I'd hate to load the bike on a trailer and try to figure out where to keep it down there.

D

·
AMA NRA LIBERTARIAN
723 Posts
What about brake lights? If you tow at night and don't have brake lights
why would'nt you get pulled over? If it were me I would remove the toolbox
and get one off those ATV ramps you can ride the bike up....

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
If I was going to use that I'd pull the chain or belt. Wouldn't try it on a shaft drive. If something comes loose it could tear up a bunch of stuff and you wouldn't know it until the next stop.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Intriguing, seems like it should work.

One thing comes to mind though, it'd be extremely easy to jacknife the bike to the point of damage, when backing up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know a guy who used one... he was happy except it is much harder to load (he said) then just riding up on it and strapping it down... he said you need a helper cause your feet come off the ground? Also he said backing up is almost a no go... his wife refuses to backup with it on... and he paid $100 for a used one... with all options... has towed his HD over 500 Miles from Seattle to ND all highway driving... towed it with a Nissan PU.. and you cannot tow with a cover on the bike like they advertise!!!!

·
Barrett Motorcycle Repair
202 Posts
On a shaft drive i wouldn't try it , even in neutral the trans shafts and splined gears would be spinning and not being lubricated except for what ever splashed up because the motors not running and not spining the oil pump . Which would work out to probably costing more than buying a 6'x12' enclosed trailer. Unless your hearts really set on towing just the bike you could pull the shaft , but it would still wear on the diff bearings and tire bad , because of weight transfer . With the front end in the air and the back end down it would transfer about 65%-75% more weight to the rear wheel 700lb bike on two wheels would equal about 600lbs on just the rear wheel.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
I dont know why, but that just looks unholy to me...

I wouldn't trust my bike like that.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I wouldn't do it.

The Kawi shares a common engine/tranny oiling system... the oil pump provides oil to the trans. If the engine is not running, the oil is in the sump not lubricating anything. Even in neutral, your output shaft is spinning, as is the bevel gear on the shaft-drive bikes.

I've seen the result of a dirtbike towed this way when a bump caused the trans to drop out of neutral (into either 1st or 2nd).... blowed up engine and trans.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
you could pull the shaft
(thumbing through dictionary looking for the definition of "easier said than done")

:biggrin:

No, it's not particularly difficult, but not really something you'd want to do at each end of a road trip

Plus with the shaft removed, I believe it leaves the rear seal open... not positive on that.

·
Dead man walking
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, crap. I'm slim to none on choices here.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts