Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else on here that takes their sport bike to a track on occasion? Where do you take it?

I've been to Carolina Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, and Barber Motorsports Park. This is my first year of track riding.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Anything for those of us on the west coast?

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
west coast - tons of tracks. I need to visit Streets of Willow Springs, Laguna Seca and Infinion.

Tracks I've been to: Mid-Ohio, Barber, Oak Hill, MSR Cresson (1.7, 1.3 & 3.1) and Eagles Canyon (now my home).

Just joined Eagles Canyon so I can get on the track as much as I want. Between now and the end of the year I plan at least 4 more track days. Next year I expect to make 3 or more days a month. Also plan to drive up to Hallet at least once. We'd also like to go back to Barber but that will wait until July/August when it stops raining so much.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tweek, how much does Eagles Canyon cost? I'm hoping to join the club at CMP. It will cost $1500 a year for membership which includes 15 track days. i have to be at least intermediate level though. No novices allowed.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
I'm a bit embarrassed to say but there is actually good economic reasoning here. I'm sure of it! :D

ECR costs $3250 to join and then $190/mo. In return if the track is open I can ride.

Here is the economic sense: Right now I'm spending up to $400/mo on trackdays. So over the course of 2010 I'll basically balance it out.

Most clubs are cautious about new members b/c they want to make sure they aren't letting some squid in who is going to screw things up for the other members. For instance: somebody that is slow but blocks not allowing faster riders through. Or somebody that is just random on the track. Sense I've been going to ECR a lot lately they know me really well and were quite happy for me to join.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...not only is everything bigger in Texas, it's more expensive too! I haven't been going to the track that much, primarily due to access, because STT does not have a lot of days scheduled for tracks near me.

It looks like there are some "perks" that go along with the membership at ECR. Do they have many races or events that you go to?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I've done an "advanced defensive riding course" which means the track was more about handling than speed. There's one about 4 hours north but I'd have to cut back on the food and beer fund to go to that one.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
its a driving course they use for cars, semis, buses.. I hope they repave it for this year cause there's some sketchy spots but overall its fun.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Wow...not only is everything bigger in Texas, it's more expensive too! I haven't been going to the track that much, primarily due to access, because STT does not have a lot of days scheduled for tracks near me.

It looks like there are some "perks" that go along with the membership at ECR. Do they have many races or events that you go to?
With membership I get access to all events.
The owners are getting ready to invest another 3 million in to the place. The track is getting resurfaced, a new control tower and spectator lounge, covered pits, etc etc etc. Should be really nice.

I agree the three grand up front hurt. But it is a one time fee and I can sell it if I even need back out. So over my lifetime the price works out nicely. For instance if I had time this weekend I could spend 2 days at the track, same next weekend and Thanks Giving is open (Thursday to Sunday) so if I were single w/o kids I could get 8 track days in the next 3 weeks! And need new tires.

The real downside is that now I'm really locked in to just one track. Why pay to go anywhere else when I've already paid to use a track as much as I can?

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Oh - looks like we are planning a trip to Inde Motorsports ranch in April (24 & 25). It'll be about a 14 hour drive for me:
INDE MOTORSPORTS RANCH

The track looks pretty nice. Gonna have to start working this one out though. I'll need to leave Thursday night and take Monday off too. Not sure how that will go over with the family.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, I get it. the $3250 is a one-time cost, not annual. Kind of like an initiation fee. If you don't pay the monthly fee to go along with it, you lose the $3250? or is that the point that you sell your membership to someone else?

Mine works out to about $100 for each visit, which is a good price, but then you don't get to see other tracks. I'm just not sure if I would use it enough to get my money out of it.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
The folks that own ECR are pretty easy going. I suspect if the S hit the fan they'd work something out. But year, if I new things were going side ways that membership would be on craigslist in a friggin heartbeat.

$100 per visit isnt bad. A normal trackday ranges from $120 (expect 30+ riders per group) up to $180 (snobby Ducati owners). The thing about the membership is that it definately give you an incentive to get out there. For me two trackdays a month should be the minimum to make it worth my investment. 3 would be better.

Another cool benefit is that I'm not limited to the bike. I'm now seriously thinking about a Miata or a go cart! Might as well get every last bit of goodness out of this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts