Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hoosier Vet
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the trailer hitch finished for the 900. Saw another one similar to this one somewhere on internet, figured if it worked for them why not work for me. Took a lot of heating and bending and trial fitting, and more heating and bending till everything fit.

I'll probably bust my A$$ just like with the car tire:shock: !!! Right, Mr. Clean?

Before paint

Reciever part stays on bike

Barely noticeable with hitch removed

Invisible from the side with hitch removed

"If I can't fix it, it aint broke."
Darksider

·
Guilty By Association
650 Posts
any idea of the weight you can pull with the 900??

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I think I'd look into tapping the strut holes out bigger and installing grade 5-8 bolts. A back rest, saddlebags and a hitch seems to be too much stress on those 4 little bolts.

·
Hoosier Vet
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'd look into tapping the strut holes out bigger and installing grade 5-8 bolts. A back rest, saddlebags and a hitch seems to be too much stress on those 4 little bolts.
Yeah, I was lookin at that too. But The problem would be drilling the studs for the ghost brackets bigger.

·
Hoosier Vet
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job, I like the quick release feature.
That's what I liked about the hitch I copied. Probably will only pull a trailer whenever we go on vacation, grocery shopping, flea market trip, or an overnight camping trip. Oh he!!, I'll probably use it more than I realize.:smile:

Looked into a Hidden Hitch, but they were $350 and with the car tire, there wasn't much room inside the fender well for bolts and the thickness of the hitch (1/4 inch).

·
Registered
864 Posts
Looks great! I haven't used my trailer hardly at all, wife doesn't ride as much as I had hoped. I end up just using my Nomad's bags 99% of the time. But I did a "high speed run" down I-65 and honestly, you couldn't tell I had a trailer behind the bike, only when slowing down did I notice any difference at all, and it was very minimal. Cheers-BB

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
looks good, where are your plans?

·
Hoosier Vet
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks good, where are your plans?
Plans?? We don't need no stinkin plans.:smile:

I always use the SWAG method whenever I am fabricating something. Look at pictures of other like items, take a couple measurements, make a couple copies of pics of the bike, draw some lines on the pic to see what it might look like, then make a Scientific Wild A$$ Guess , fire up the cuttin torch and start buildin.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Looks good, hope it works out for you.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
So what happens when you take a corner? Seems like the hitch should be gimballed or something.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
And the bags are? Love the teardrop lights. Are they brake lights? I'd like to mount hardbags and remove the light from the fender.

(Kin i hijack a thread or what?)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here's an option for a trailer that I've seen in action a few times and really like it compared to 2 wheeled trailers. I've even seen them attached without a hitch just straight onto the bike somehow.

Just a thought.

Does anyone have one of these? Any opinions?

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Here's an option for a trailer that I've seen in action a few times and really like it compared to 2 wheeled trailers. I've even seen them attached without a hitch just straight onto the bike somehow.
See, that one makes sense for a motorcycle...one wheel that leans as the bike leans. It also looks like there is possibly two planes of movement in the hitch. As the setup stands in this thread there are going to be unwanted forces on the hitch and bike in anything but the straights.

·
Registered
253 Posts
But I did a "high speed run" down I-65 and honestly, you couldn't tell I had a trailer behind the bike, only when slowing down did I notice any difference at all, and it was very minimal. Cheers-BB
I believe the nomad has dual disc brakes up front where the smaller cc bikes only have one disc brake. that will definitely make a difference in stopping power depending on how packed up the trailer is. Plus these smaller cc bikes are a lot lighter and handle a lot different. I have thought about adding a trailer option with my bike but decided i should probly get a bigger bike first. Going 2-up with bags, a back rack and a trailer is a lot for a little engine like that. I understand these little 800's and 900's can easily be made into pretty awesome cruisers. I have had mine packed to the BRIM a few times (see attached photo- mine is in the foreground with a large backpacking pack full plus 2 packs of wood and saddlebags full!)

I'm just saying be careful guys. Keep in mind what you're adding and what it's affecting. Other than that, keep on cruisin!!

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
As the setup stands in this thread there are going to be unwanted forces on the hitch and bike in anything but the straights.
Most hitches are just like the one he built. The pivoting comes in the trailer arm I believe. It rolls on itself I believe. It is made so that the part that connects to the hitch can roll with the bikes turns while the trailer is still on two wheels. (i didn't explain that very well, but you get the idea.)

The single wheel option doesn't need this rolling. It only needs a left to right pivot, not a rolling movement since the single wheel can just roll like the other wheels.

correct me if i'm wrong and explain that better if you can. I need a thesaurus installed in my brain.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts