Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First real ride on the 848

This afternoon I finally took off for a longer ride on my new mistress so we could get to know each other better. So what did I find out – It’s friggin windy out today.

I really don’t have that much experience and can only compare the 848 against an 06 EX500 a 99 ZX6e and an 07 ZX6R. As such that is what we’ll go with.
Compared to my other bikes the 848 is not as comfortable. The clipons and rear sets put you in the fetal position, the seat is like a plank of wood. But keep in mind: from my point of view these are features of the machine. Everything is meant to help you interface to the bike better so you can go faster. That said: I’d not throw my wife behind my seat on the 848 and take here any further than the Starbucks down the street. This isn’t a Concourse or some other lazyass touring bike. If you are touring on this you are doing one of those ‘see the entire US in 4 hours’ tours – not a laid back ‘lets stop at the B&B for the night’ type of touring. Think Canon Ball Run.

So I’m vetoing comfort as a criteria for all superbike class bikes. These are built for speed, not comfort.
Acceleration on the 848 (even though it is being broken in) is incredible. She gets to 80 before I’ve finished thinking about going a bit faster, take too long and you will be passing 100 and continuing on to the redline. She just wants to go. I can get my EX500 up to 100 but it takes effort. The ZX6e will get there with less effort but the 848 makes it seem like the ZX6e needs a NOS bottle or something in order to keep up. Right now I’m keeping it under 8KRPM and changing gears a lot. The engine is just so forgiving. If you do it wrong she has enough torque to hide the fact from the rest of the world. She keeps it a secret between the two of you.

The ZX6 I rode in CSS also had incredible acceleration, but it didn’t feel like this. Both bikes are incredibly fast, and I only got to spend two days on a ZX6 so comparing is difficult. The riding positions are the same, but I feel like I have to curl my toes more to hold on to the 848 when I roll on the throttle. It really does feel like she could launch herself out from underneath you if you aren’t paying attention.

What accelerates must deaccelerate and the 848 does that great too. After my brief tour of the Texas country side I went to my favorite parking lot to play around and rack myself up. I wanted to see what a panic stop would be like on the 848. On the ZX6e and the EX500 I can lock up and slide the front tire pretty well. The routine is to get on one end, accelerate to 30 and then grab a handful just like you aren’t supposed to. Done properly the front tire locks up and you slide the bike about 3 feet and let go before anything bad happens. Being able to do this means that I can threshold brake either bike – get just to the edge where the tire starts to skid and give back a little and then take it back – human ABS.

I couldn’t slide the 848’s tire, I needed more speed but it's a school parking lot so..... I did rack myself up on the gas tank though. I thought I had a good grip with my knees, but I had no idea what the stopping force would be like. I could feel my eyeballs trying to seep past my eyelids. I tried three times to slide the front tire. Every time the bike simply stopped. Every time I managed to lift the rear tire off the ground. Give me some time and I’ll be doing stoppies like a real squid. Are you supposed to do stoppies on a Ducati? Do they take the bike away or anything?

The brakes are greatness. It comes stock with big Brimbo calipers, a Brimbo MC (not sure which one) and SS brake lines. My other bikes don’t have that and I’ve never quite managed to get either bike to lift the rear tire under hard braking.
To bring this to a close my impression of the 848 is that it is great. If you want to ride a Superbike and want it to be Italian I really think you could do a lot worse than an 848.

This brings up some of the criticisms I’ve read from the Duc loyalists. In short here they are: it has a wet clutch instead of a dry clutch and its stock exhaust only rattles windows inside a 100 yard radius not 2000 meters (get it? See what I did? **** I’m clever). My thoughts about this: huh?
The 848 is the 1098’s little sister (motorcycles are girls). For Ducati to continue growing it needs a few products that serve as bridges that will bring people like me over. Most UJM owners could care less about dry clutches. Actually, most are used to slipper clutches and now they are also starting to get traction control (ZX10). The 848 is a way to get Jonny Squid to take a look at a Duc instead of a Gixxer 600 or 750. This might annoy elitists in the Duc camp, but from my perspective as both a consumer and investor is that it’s all good. More Ducs on the road mean a higher share price. It also means Ducati will have more money to introduce other cool products like the 848, which is also a good thing.

So yeah – I’m glad my wife got me my 848. I really my 848 and I look forward to riding her around more and getting to know her personality better.
And yes – I just anthromorphisized an inanimate object. What of it?

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
pics man, pics! where is that Italian beauty?

·
Rider
561 Posts
Let's see some pics!!! The 848 is a sweet bike. I hope you got it in red.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my bad. Please forgive my fo-paw ;)

the whole happy family:

·
Rider
561 Posts
You got to put some Termignoni cans on your bike. The Termignoni exhaust should be a factory option on all Ducati motorcycles.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
The Brembos are awesome...Best thing I got on my 10R...If you are locking it up and sliding...That is not good. You will learn to modulate. I agree on all your points about the comparison...if comfort was what you want, a Sportbike is not what we all should have gotten...It is easy to get a big bike up...Just be careful. Congrats again.

First real ride on the 848

This afternoon I finally took off for a longer ride on my new mistress so we could get to know each other better. So what did I find out – It’s friggin windy out today.

I really don’t have that much experience and can only compare the 848 against an 06 EX500 a 99 ZX6e and an 07 ZX6R. As such that is what we’ll go with.
Compared to my other bikes the 848 is not as comfortable. The clipons and rear sets put you in the fetal position, the seat is like a plank of wood. But keep in mind: from my point of view these are features of the machine. Everything is meant to help you interface to the bike better so you can go faster. That said: I’d not throw my wife behind my seat on the 848 and take here any further than the Starbucks down the street. This isn’t a Concourse or some other lazyass touring bike. If you are touring on this you are doing one of those ‘see the entire US in 4 hours’ tours – not a laid back ‘lets stop at the B&B for the night’ type of touring. Think Canon Ball Run.

So I’m vetoing comfort as a criteria for all superbike class bikes. These are built for speed, not comfort.
Acceleration on the 848 (even though it is being broken in) is incredible. She gets to 80 before I’ve finished thinking about going a bit faster, take too long and you will be passing 100 and continuing on to the redline. She just wants to go. I can get my EX500 up to 100 but it takes effort. The ZX6e will get there with less effort but the 848 makes it seem like the ZX6e needs a NOS bottle or something in order to keep up. Right now I’m keeping it under 8KRPM and changing gears a lot. The engine is just so forgiving. If you do it wrong she has enough torque to hide the fact from the rest of the world. She keeps it a secret between the two of you.

The ZX6 I rode in CSS also had incredible acceleration, but it didn’t feel like this. Both bikes are incredibly fast, and I only got to spend two days on a ZX6 so comparing is difficult. The riding positions are the same, but I feel like I have to curl my toes more to hold on to the 848 when I roll on the throttle. It really does feel like she could launch herself out from underneath you if you aren’t paying attention.

What accelerates must deaccelerate and the 848 does that great too. After my brief tour of the Texas country side I went to my favorite parking lot to play around and rack myself up. I wanted to see what a panic stop would be like on the 848. On the ZX6e and the EX500 I can lock up and slide the front tire pretty well. The routine is to get on one end, accelerate to 30 and then grab a handful just like you aren’t supposed to. Done properly the front tire locks up and you slide the bike about 3 feet and let go before anything bad happens. Being able to do this means that I can threshold brake either bike – get just to the edge where the tire starts to skid and give back a little and then take it back – human ABS.

I couldn’t slide the 848’s tire, I needed more speed but it's a school parking lot so..... I did rack myself up on the gas tank though. I thought I had a good grip with my knees, but I had no idea what the stopping force would be like. I could feel my eyeballs trying to seep past my eyelids. I tried three times to slide the front tire. Every time the bike simply stopped. Every time I managed to lift the rear tire off the ground. Give me some time and I’ll be doing stoppies like a real squid. Are you supposed to do stoppies on a Ducati? Do they take the bike away or anything?

The brakes are greatness. It comes stock with big Brimbo calipers, a Brimbo MC (not sure which one) and SS brake lines. My other bikes don’t have that and I’ve never quite managed to get either bike to lift the rear tire under hard braking.
To bring this to a close my impression of the 848 is that it is great. If you want to ride a Superbike and want it to be Italian I really think you could do a lot worse than an 848.

This brings up some of the criticisms I’ve read from the Duc loyalists. In short here they are: it has a wet clutch instead of a dry clutch and its stock exhaust only rattles windows inside a 100 yard radius not 2000 meters (get it? See what I did? **** I’m clever). My thoughts about this: huh?
The 848 is the 1098’s little sister (motorcycles are girls). For Ducati to continue growing it needs a few products that serve as bridges that will bring people like me over. Most UJM owners could care less about dry clutches. Actually, most are used to slipper clutches and now they are also starting to get traction control (ZX10). The 848 is a way to get Jonny Squid to take a look at a Duc instead of a Gixxer 600 or 750. This might annoy elitists in the Duc camp, but from my perspective as both a consumer and investor is that it’s all good. More Ducs on the road mean a higher share price. It also means Ducati will have more money to introduce other cool products like the 848, which is also a good thing.

So yeah – I’m glad my wife got me my 848. I really my 848 and I look forward to riding her around more and getting to know her personality better.
And yes – I just anthromorphisized an inanimate object. What of it?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Tweek... I hate you. And your wife. Screw the both of you :lol:

J/K of course, that is about the best present... and wife... a man could ask for :biggrin: But tell me... would you have taken the red one or the white one?

Anyhoo, those first impressions sound really promising... after all, you would expect nothing less from a bike of that caliber. I can't wait for you to take it for a serious carving session... or better, the track... to give us the impressions that matter most :cool:

I'm actually at a bit of a cross-roads... as you may know I dumped the bike a few weeks ago and to repair it is going to cost basically half the value of the bike. One part of me is saying it's time to upgrade... to an 848 :biggrin: but the downsides to that are:

1. if I were to upgrade, I'd still have to throw in a good bit of money myself, and I don't know if I'm willing to do that right now
2. I love the 848, but it's pretty hard to justify dropping that much cash on that bike when I could get a Jap litre bike for less
3. I still haven't come anywhere close to exploring the limits of my 636 (i.e. I haven't taken it to the track yet) and I'd really hate to let go of a bike before having done that...

So having said that, I've pretty much made up my mind, I'm going to stick with the 636 a while longer... but **** seeing someone I know getting one and having nothing but good things to say about it makes standing by my decision all that much harder :biggrin:

Keep us updated man.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Im not a Ducati fan, but this I like, I like-it-alot!! Nice bike man, I think a Leo Vince or Twin Brothers ehaust would set it off even better

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Watch this dyno run and listen to the Termignoni exhaust.

YouTube - Ducati 848 Dyno runs with Termignoni cans

NICE!!!
That's wild...

There's a whole bunch of other videos of the launch, first impressions by the different bike magazines etc... unfortunately my server only allows to see videos 4 minutes or shorter, so I can't see the really good ones... but even some of the short ones are pretty cool :cool:

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<snip>If you are locking it up and sliding...That is not good. You will learn to modulate.
On the track w/ the ZX6 I do modulate, but I'm able to do it because I know where/when the front tire starts to slide. It's actually an excercise they do at CSS to show you how hard you can brake and that the bike is still controlable with the front tire sliding. Problem w/ the Duc is that its margins are higher than I've encountered meaning that a quick blast to 30mph isn't enough to slide the tire on that surface.
That is actually nice to know. This thing will stop on a dime which makes me a little more comfortable about riding it on the street. If some A hole pulls out in front of me I have that much more chance of avoiding him.

would you have taken the red one or the white one?
Both look good, but come one.....Red is the only color.

So having said that, I've pretty much made up my mind, I'm going to stick with the 636 a while longer... but **** seeing someone I know getting one and having nothing but good things to say about it makes standing by my decision all that much harder :biggrin:

Keep us updated man.
I'd stay with your original plan unless you have a really good reason to change it. While the 848 is a great bike - if I had already gotten a new current generation ZX6 I wouldn't have really cared. It just happened the Ducati had the good timing to roll the 848 out when it did. However, I would have definately given it a look when I got ready to buy another bike.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Great looking bike. I dont think you should be able to lock up the front brakes on a newer sport bike. Most bike including my 636 will throw you over the bars first before it locks up.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Forgot that I posted the picture over here.

All of our down stairs is finished concrete so the kick stand would gouge pretty bad. Also the floor is cold and I didn't want the bike to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 748 won't slide the front wheel. It lifts the rear, with one finger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts