Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone out there tell me how to change out the tranny belt on a 2002 kawasaki prairie 650, i got the mechanical skills, just never did the job before, any advice or info would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!!

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forum, call Joe or Jeff at 1-800-556-3098 Beartooth Kawasaki, I think Joe may have a diagram he could fax you. 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tranny belt replacement

Not to difficult of job ,just remember to check for the proper tension when through,but hopefully Jeff can walk you through the process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Belt Life?

I also have a 2002 650 and have had to change the belt each year. I am curious as to what the normal life is of this belt. It would seem that it should last longer. I use it for hunting and spend most of my time in 4wd high and occasionally use low range when it is needed. I am 53 years old and am not pushing it hard at all.

When the second belt needed to be replaced I called the factory and they just said that the belt is a wear item and that they can't predict how long it will last for a particular drivers style.

I need to have it changed again before next hunting season as it is squealing when put under a load again. I thought when the 1st belt started squealing it could be adjusted but the dealer said no that it needed to be replaced.

I only have about 1200 miles on the unit and spending over a hundred $ every season for a belt replacement just doesn't seem right.

I own 3 Kawasaki street bikes and have been extremely happy with them all but the belt issue with the Prairie is a little extreme I think. I hunt with guys that have other brands of quads with belts and none have ever had to change a belt yet.

Does anyone else have belt issues or do I perhaps have a different problem that causes excessive belt wear. My dealer says that everything appears normal.
:twisted: :arrow:

·
Registered
142 Posts
We have seen belts last for quite some time. It is not a matter of replacing the belt every time. The belt deflection (tension) can be adjusted. I would recommend a Kawasaki service manual to those who wish to maintain their own clutches. They are very informative and easy to follow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tranny belt

One recommendation is to run in low range as much as possible. You only need high range when you're running under light load and fast. You can get much longer life out of the belt this way. If the belt is "barking" on takeoff or under stress then it needs adjustment. The driven (rear) pully has shims that adjust the belt tention (deflection) and over time the belt will wear and may need adjustment by removing/replacing these shims. Nyroc's web site has a ton of information about the Prairie 650/700. Check it out at http://atv.dnsalias.com/

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Belt life

If you are going slow or in tough situations, run in low range.

If you are stuck or your wheels will not easily turn, be careful about keeping on the throttle because you'll ruin a belt because it will get hot.

Belts are approx $30-60 I'm guessing based on my snowmobile experience and are easy to change. You grab the inside half of the secondary clutch (the rear clutch) and twist/push to separate the sheaves. You may need to hold the brake to do this. Once separated you can work the belt off over the primary clutch.

Clean the clutch surfaces with an approved cleaner. I can't say for sure what that is, but I've used acetone to clean mine. You don't want to use anything that will leave a residue.

I've got a 2000 Prarie 400 4x4 with over 2000 miles of challenging riding and my belt is just now starting to squeal some.

While you are at it, with the cover off, you should inspect your primary clutch visually to see if anything looks worn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Belt Life?

mayfly said:
I also have a 2002 650 and have had to change the belt each year. I am curious as to what the normal life is of this belt. It would seem that it should last longer. I use it for hunting and spend most of my time in 4wd high and occasionally use low range when it is needed. I am 53 years old and am not pushing it hard at all.

When the second belt needed to be replaced I called the factory and they just said that the belt is a wear item and that they can't predict how long it will last for a particular drivers style.

I need to have it changed again before next hunting season as it is squealing when put under a load again. I thought when the 1st belt started squealing it could be adjusted but the dealer said no that it needed to be replaced.

I only have about 1200 miles on the unit and spending over a hundred $ every season for a belt replacement just doesn't seem right.

I own 3 Kawasaki street bikes and have been extremely happy with them all but the belt issue with the Prairie is a little extreme I think. I hunt with guys that have other brands of quads with belts and none have ever had to change a belt yet.

Does anyone else have belt issues or do I perhaps have a different problem that causes excessive belt wear. My dealer says that everything appears normal.
:twisted: :arrow:
I learned the hard way too. Are you running bigger tires? Either way, I would buy a Dayco HeavyDuty belt, and start doing the proper maintainence. I do mine every 40 hrs, at the same time I change my oil, I do maintainence on everything. Sometimes I wait longer. Also I run in low 95% of the time, and it isn't bad at all. I only use high range while going on open stretches, and when I am not starting and stopping much. I think hard accelerating from take-off would wear the belt a little faster also.

Hope this helps,
5string/Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Belts

I recently bought a new set of tires. I went with a Carlisle 489 because it was just a little more aggressive than the stock tread but not too aggressive. I also stayed with the stock tire height. My choice was based on engine power, maintaining a smooth ride and belt life. Plus I like a little challenge going thru mud.

Bigger tires will put more stress on your belt and will take more power to turn. Those of you with 650's probably don't worry about power, but belts may be a concern.

One thing to keep in mind - even with the awesome power of the 700 class machines, they still are nowhere close to snowmobiles so I don't understand why your belts are not lasting longer than they do. Maybe the clutch alignment is off.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I am at 800 miles and on my second belt the first change out was due to a actuator problem and not really the belt. I have a TTP big wheel kit and spend more time in hi than low by far. Belts have not been my problems but I have had more than my share of others, 1 actuator, 1 ignition module, both covered by the dealer, even after the 6 month warranty, then as of late I had a tube in the radiator fail, the Radiator shop here was able to isolate it and remove it for $80 (I R&R it) I did not feel that was bad compaired to the $500 price tag on a new one.

Bottom Line I still love the bike ond would not traid it for any on the market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smoked belt

I only had 10 miles (2 hours) on my 2005 650 Brute Force when I smoked the belt pulling a trailer of firewood through mud. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong and wouldn't cover the repair. My thought is that CVT is not made for heavy towing. I going back to 5 speed. Dealer knew what I was using machine for before I purchased. Glad I didn't sell my '87 350ccc Big Bear. It has been pulling about 20 trailer loads(4'x8'x3') per year of firewood for almost 20 years. And it is still capable. Wanted a bigger machine so not to work as hard. Instead the Big Brute hardly works. Afraid to try it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
replacement belts

Hi everyone. My belt light just came on my 05/brute force 650. Ive had no problems,no noise. bike runs good. im gonna take off the cover and check it out. Anyone have and thoughts on wihat is the best belt to use ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts