Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all,
I recently bought a 2009 VN900 Classic. What a great bike!!! I do have one thing against this thing though. I hear a whining noise that I have been told by a mechanic that it is the tranny whining because the VN's have thick gears and there isn't anything they can do about it. Has anyone heard of that before? This noise sounds like to me it is an axle that is dry as the noise is very cyclic with the speed of the bike. I hear it when I am at about 35 and letting off the throttle the most and when I am slowing to a stop. Does anyone have any sort of idea of what this might be as this noise is driving me nuts? Thanks in advance for everything!!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
That was the first thing I noticed when I first rode my 08 900 LT, but you get use to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So with that I assume that this is the way it is supposed to be as opposed to something going wrong or needing an adjustment? Forgive me, I am definitely not a gear head.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
if it is belt tension it should be checked other than that give it a few miles or get some aftermarket pipes then you wont hear anything but rumble!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Conroy, I have had the belt checked and they say the tension is within specs and the Cobra Dragsters just shipped today. It appears you and I are thinking alike on this.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Well Conroy, I have had the belt checked and they say the tension is within specs and the Cobra Dragsters just shipped today. It appears you and I are thinking alike on this.
SWEET!!!!! You will be set!Get some earplugs......your gonna need them on the highway!

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
once the belt is set up properly (the kawasaki factory setting is to tight, or should i say comes from the factory tighter then other manufacturers) your whine will be gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ride4Life, on my 600 mile inspection I took it to a mechanic of my choice rather than the dealership as they seem like a bunch of nimwits (whereas this guy has a reputation in the racing industry), he did back it off to 1/2 inch slack. He also said that the factory setting, though within specs, is too tight for that tranny. Once he backed it off, it did reduce the noise but it didn't eliminate it. I had him check the axles (unfortunately my hearing is too damaged to tell where the sound is coming from, only that there is a sound somewhere) as it sounds like there is a dry axle but he said everything is lubed up o.k. From what it seems from others in this forum, this is normal noise and I'm just going to have to deal with it.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I have had mine for three yrs now and I don't have this issue. Not sure what to advise this time.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
You didnt mention your mileage but being an 09, Its "barely" broke in. Change the oil and inspect it for flec. Id run 10w40 without any additives. So many riders think a little Lucas or Slick-50 in their oil enhances its effect. Not so! Enjoy those pipes :wink: "Quiet bikes suck"

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
if ya do a search youll find hundreds of threads on this...vulcans make all kinds of strange sounds..just part of their charm........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've done one oil change since purchase and I have about 2700 miles on it. I put in synthetic oil...I don't remember the weight but it is what the owners manual calls for...and it has lessened it but it is still there. This appears to be part of the "charm" that badfinger is talking about. I can't say that charm is what I would call it but if it is a part of life and I can't do anything about it then I won't worry about it but if not, I am certainly open to ideas.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've done one oil change since purchase and I have about 2700 miles on it. I put in synthetic oil...I don't remember the weight but it is what the owners manual calls for...and it has lessened it but it is still there. This appears to be part of the "charm" that badfinger is talking about. I can't say that charm is what I would call it but if it is a part of life and I can't do anything about it then I won't worry about it but if not, I am certainly open to ideas.
i dont know if ya have this link or not...it contains a lot of very useful information for vulcan owners......
Gadget's Fixit Page For Kawasaki Nomad & Classic Modification Maintenance & Repair

1 - 14 of 14 Posts