Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post pictures tonight but I found a leak in what i tihnk is the transmission fluid storage. I can't shift. Does anyone know what type transmission fluid to put into a 250 ninja. happt thanks giving. eat los of turkey

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll post pictures tonight but I found a leak in what i tihnk is the transmission fluid storage. I can't shift. Does anyone know what type transmission fluid to put into a 250 ninja. happt thanks giving. eat los of turkey
View attachment 33022

View attachment 33023

View attachment 33024

Here are the pictures I promised but I need help. Look at my seal job. What goes in that box? Is it transmission fluid? If so what kind?

Give me a lil slack I am a 24 year old girl who got ripped off once last month by a mechanic and swore to do the rest myself! I'm learning

Attachments

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
get a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL... thats just the AIR BOX.. your air filte is in there...
just some residual oil from the crankcase breather.....
again get a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL ...... good luck on your learning venture....
so where the good pic ??? :)

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
uhboy. bikes don't use 'transmission fluid'. just oil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
uhboy. bikes don't use 'transmission fluid'. just oil.
so by looking at the pics above, and looking at the area that I repaired. what fluid was coming out of there. i lost a ton of fluid but my oil level is still full. I looked in the service manual Im not sure what it is

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
If there is any fluid coming out of that box, it would be gas. That means you have a problem with your carburetors and they most likely need to be cleaned. How is the bike running? Is it sluggish at all?

On another note, do you find that you have "too much" oil in the bike now? Looking at the sight glass on the lower right side of the engine, can you see the oil level, or does it just look completely full? When leaned on the sidestand, you should be able to see the top of the oil level. If not you may have too much oil, which in this case would most likely mean that you have gasoline leaking into the oil, caused by the same issue that is making it leak out of the airbox.

Main Page - Ninja250Wiki
Take a look at this site. It has a LOT of valuable information about the Ninja 250 including basic information about the bike, how to service the bike and how to take care of common problems. Definitely worth looking at. Also, get the service manual for the bike. No matter what you do, you will need this book. Even if you know how to work on every part, you will need this book for adjustment values and such, and the price it costs you will be nothing compared to the shop fees for having it worked on.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If it's not radiator coolant, it might be brake fluid. These bikes have brake fluid in the brake master cylinders that might need checking too.

A loose brake line or a cracked fitting can leak a surprising amount of fluid.
Avoid getting brake fluid on paint as it will strip it down to bare metal.

I used to live in El Cajon til 6 years ago.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
When leaned on the sidestand, you should be able to see the top of the oil level. .
uhm im thinking a typing mistake but DO NOT CHECK THE OIL LEVEL ON THE KICKSTAND !!!!! you will always have a full window if the window is on the kickstand side or an empty window it its on the opposite side..... bike straight up and down , NOT running, and let it sit for minute so the oil can level out.....

as for your leak,, how much gas/oil did you get ? pull the oil fill plug and smell it ..does it smell like gas ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If there is any fluid coming out of that box, it would be gas. That means you have a problem with your carburetors and they most likely need to be cleaned. How is the bike running? Is it sluggish at all?

On another note, do you find that you have "too much" oil in the bike now? Looking at the sight glass on the lower right side of the engine, can you see the oil level, or does it just look completely full? When leaned on the sidestand, you should be able to see the top of the oil level. If not you may have too much oil, which in this case would most likely mean that you have gasoline leaking into the oil, caused by the same issue that is making it leak out of the airbox.

Main Page - Ninja250Wiki
Take a look at this site. It has a LOT of valuable information about the Ninja 250 including basic information about the bike, how to service the bike and how to take care of common problems. Definitely worth looking at. Also, get the service manual for the bike. No matter what you do, you will need this book. Even if you know how to work on every part, you will need this book for adjustment values and such, and the price it costs you will be nothing compared to the shop fees for having it worked on.
OK so after doing some more evaluating... that repair was taken care of and the oil level is too high. SO i will do a new oil change. is there anything else I need to do to fix the reason for the gas leaking out the air box? Also, I am also noticing that oil is leaking out the transmission now where the gear shift is at... whats next? Do u live in cali I need help lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also, the bike stales in first gear now i think its because of the mixture of gas and oil now....i bought a freaking lemon!!!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
drain all the oil and see if it smells like gasoline. if so, you may have a carb float leak. I'm not real well versed with 250, but generally, you should have a vacuum operated petcock. It should have a "on" and "res" for switching to reserve. If it also has an "off" then you should make it a habit of setting it to "off" any time you turn off the bike. I'm assuming it's vacuum operated though, which means there is a diaphram inside it that is activated by the vacuum from the motor when you start it. That diaphram allows gas to flow when the bike is running, but shuts off the flow when the bike shuts off.

it's possible that the vacuum diaphram is worn out. You can tell by removing the tank and seeing if the petcock is leaking. If so, your diaphram is leaking, or you should have a manual "off". One or the other. Often times, that diaphram being bad is the root cause of carb gas leak problems because fuel does not shut off, overflows the carb float bowl, and seeps into the cylinders, where is drains down around the rings into the oil. This over-fills the oil in the block and also thins it out so that it won't lubricate properly.

The tube that goes into the air box in your picture comes from the top of the engine and is a crankcase breather. It usually contains only oil fumes and might drain a very small amount of oil, but not enough to reduce your oil level. Overfilling the oil can cause some problems with this. if you have leaked gas into your oil, or have filled your crankcase while the bike is on the kickstand, it could be blowing out too much oil into the air box.

These are just SOME possibilities....we might be able to offer more after you troubleshoot some of these things.

·
Lapa user
852 Posts
drain all the oil and see if it smells like gasoline. if so, you may have a carb float leak. I'm not real well versed with 250, but generally, you should have a vacuum operated petcock. It should have a "on" and "res" for switching to reserve. If it also has an "off" then you should make it a habit of setting it to "off" any time you turn off the bike. I'm assuming it's vacuum operated though, which means there is a diaphram inside it that is activated by the vacuum from the motor when you start it. That diaphram allows gas to flow when the bike is running, but shuts off the flow when the bike shuts off.

it's possible that the vacuum diaphram is worn out. You can tell by removing the tank and seeing if the petcock is leaking. If so, your diaphram is leaking, or you should have a manual "off". One or the other. Often times, that diaphram being bad is the root cause of carb gas leak problems because fuel does not shut off, overflows the carb float bowl, and seeps into the cylinders, where is drains down around the rings into the oil. This over-fills the oil in the block and also thins it out so that it won't lubricate properly.

The tube that goes into the air box in your picture comes from the top of the engine and is a crankcase breather. It usually contains only oil fumes and might drain a very small amount of oil, but not enough to reduce your oil level. Overfilling the oil can cause some problems with this. if you have leaked gas into your oil, or have filled your crankcase while the bike is on the kickstand, it could be blowing out too much oil into the air box.

These are just SOME possibilities....we might be able to offer more after you troubleshoot some of these things.
+1000
:smile:

my GPZ this happened years ago.
I started, and you can imagine .. gasoline (10 liters) is out of the air filter when I turned on the engine. :shock: :shock: :shock:

remember horrible experience !!!!! :frown: :shock:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you tell me more?

So i did what you said? I checked the oil, completely mixed with gasoline. I did a oil change yesterday and it is running much better however it is still staling when ever I stop and am in first... is there anything else I must do to fix this solution. I already had the carbs clean, maybe I need to do it again? Now if gasoline was pouring out the airbox does that mean I need to replace the air filter and may possible have some other damaged stuff I need to check?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
One or more of the carb floats are sticking allowing gas to get into the crankcase. You need to drop the float bowls and see which one (maybe both) are letting gas flow inside the engine.

A cotton swab(Q-tip) and some metal polish will clean the brass shut off areas(seats) the float needle valve rides in. If not corrected, major engine damage (think $$$$$$$) can result.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts