Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Kawasaki ZX 11 my bike keep jumping out of second gear. The bike have 15800 mile on it ,however this transmission problem started with about 10000 mile on it. I have purchased a transmission I want to know if anyone have change a transmission out and if so how much trouble is it to do. I have 2 different manual on the bike and it doesn't seem to be a hard job. I am a mechanic by trade but I am a auto mechanic not bike. I am very good with wrenches,so thats not the problem just want to hear from someone that have do this type work before.Any help will be appricated....My cell number is 803-466-1052 if there is someone I can speak to about this before I begain,,,,,

Thanks again

Delano

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I have a 1998 Kawasaki ZX 11 my bike keep jumping out of second gear. The bike have 15800 mile on it ,however this transmission problem started with about 10000 mile on it. I have purchased a transmission I want to know if anyone have change a transmission out and if so how much trouble is it to do. I have 2 different manual on the bike and it doesn't seem to be a hard job. I am a mechanic by trade but I am a auto mechanic not bike. I am very good with wrenches,so thats not the problem just want to hear from someone that have do this type work before.Any help will be appricated....My cell number is 803-466-1052 if there is someone I can speak to about this before I begain,,,,,

Thanks again

Delano
On my KZ750 the "transmission" is all part of the engine and you would have to split the engine case to get at it. If it's not a "hard job" to do on your bike, they must have built that one different than mine. When I looked at what was involved in mine, I didn't even think about it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Problem might just be bent or worn shift forks.
Check shift forks for wear and straightness.
Check the gear dogs for wear, especially corners.
I've got zx11 cases split apart right now.
Not a bad job to do if you're mechanical.
Make sure all threaded holes are clean and use torque wrench for reassembly.
I'll get to the garage a little later (might be as late as this weekend though) and get couple pics to post.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Techy I am going to tackle this job as soon as I got some time off from work.I work for the postal service and we are working 7 days a week...lol I have bought a transmission with shift forks and drum from of ebay.It looks very clean and unworn. I have another question what gaskets do I need to purchase if any from restalling the engine casing or anything I am going to take apart? Also if you have any pics or anything I may need to see or know about here is my email address [email protected]

Delano

1 - 6 of 6 Posts