Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a neighbor who lives across the parking lot and he came up to me today to ask me a question about his bike. i guess he figured that i knew something because i have 2 bikes but anyways he explains to me that he has a 86? kawasaki something. he didnt specify what type kawasaki but he said that his bike goes into first with no problem, goes into neutral no problem but second gear is having some issues. he says that it feels like it is catching the gear, just that the gear isnt pulling the bike. he said it will click into gear then when he gives gas it just revs as if in neutral, then it goes into 3 4 and 5th gears no problem and downshifts good as well. now understand this. this guy is of spanish decent and doesnt speak hardly any english but he did a good job and trying to get the point across but there is a chance that i misunderstood him but its all good. i explained to him that i dont know too much about transmissions but i would find out. so i am asking you guys for help for my friendly neighbor in need and i know i can count on accurate information because the people on the site are great. so if you got any ideas on what could be causing his problems and how it can be fixed that would be appreciated by me and him. thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
If you are unsure try and get some more info, but it sounds like what I went thru on my 1500. Had to have the gear and latch (for lack of better terms) in the tranny for 2nd gear replaced. Entire engine assy had to be removed from the frame. $2000 +. With mine it was:

- going from 1st to 2nd, 2nd would engage but would sometimes pop back to neutral as indicated by the neutral light and revving and sometimes slip a little.
- when going from 3rd to 2nd, 2nd would often sound like a huge slipping ratchet and not engage. For a while I could get 2nd gear by applying pressure on the rear brake, giving a little throttle & then downshift. Eventually that didn't work anymore.

edit: I never had a problem with 1st, 3rd, 4th or 5th gears either. Only 2nd.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, i will let him know that it is probably time for a rebuild for second gear. he is suppose to bring the bike this weekend so i can get a better feel for what it is doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts