Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would you guys recommend i transport my new bike from the other owner to my gf house. I can get a chevy 1500 truck but would it be safe to put it in the back with rope etc.. or should I just rent a uhaul truck with a loading ramp that comes down then use rope or something in the back of that. Just some ideas would be helpful. thanx again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The problem with a truck is you need some good ramps to get the bike up there. When i bought my bike i rented a u-haul (i had to drive 1 1/2 hours to get there), and it was nice because it only sat a few feet off the ground. just used a big board to get the bike in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A truck would work as long as you either have bike ramps (Ones that kind of arc, not flat wooden ramps) or if you have some kind of a hill that you can load the bike from a higher position than the truck is sitting. The reason being you don't want to s****e the bottom of the bike when the front tire is in the bed but the back tire is still coming up the ramp.

As far as tying it down, everybody likes a different way. I usually take tie downs and wrap the handlebars and tighten them down to the front bed hooks. On the right handle bar I engage the front brake as hard as I can and wrap it down. It also helps to have a fatty sit on the bike while tying it to get the suspension pushing against the ties. Once it's good and tight it'll be suprisingly stable.

Good luck

·
Registered
607 Posts
Get some tie-downs from an autoparts place or hardware store. They're only a few bucks and they'll come in handy if you plan on riding motorcycles ever again in your life. I keep some cheapies in my truck at all times in case I come across a rider with a problem. They come in handy for other junk too.
And if we're just talking about an EX500, two strapping young lads should be able to wrestle that up on the back of a truck with no problem, as long as it's not some 4X4 monster-truck.
Good luck.
-CCinC

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I hauled my 1500 on a trailer when I bought it. Used ramps to load and unload it. Hauled well with no problems using tie downs Like Chris described.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
1500 truck will be fine as long as you have a way to load and unload. I went to CycleGear and just bought one and a Canyon Dancer which holds your handle bars in place and use the tie downs to strap the harness of the Canyon Dancer.

One strap on each side of the handle bars tied down to the bed hooks of the truck and at least one tie down for the rear tire. I used two on the rear and the bike went no where.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used a uhaul trailer $30/day, uhaul has one where the rear gate folds down to the ground to use as a ramp. Then I used ratcheting straps to tie the bike down, it was pretty easy. If you're lucky you can rent a uhaul motorcycle trailer, that should work the best.

I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
What a funny day. When I made that post back at 12:29, I had no idea I'd be pulling out the tie-downs myself. I'm driving my truck to Colorado to pick up my dream-500R! My truck is loaded with books-on-tape, BBQ-flavored sunflower seeds and gatorade; my dog's bed is mounted securely at a high vantage-point so she can watch the states fly by, and at the end of it, my dreambike waits!
The fantasy was to fly there and ride her home, but I'm saving a few bucks by buying the bike used from a Harley dealership while there's snow on the ground. A mother-of-all-roadtrips weekend.
Peace.
-Calamarichris in C'bad

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
How cool Chris! You be safe and try not to make your tongue to raw by eating to many sunflower seeds. :)

We'll look forward to some pictures when you return.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
k im gonna try to rent the cycle trailer its only $15 a day aint bad, then just use my gf dads 1500 truck to haul it, rather then me lift it with buddies onto the truck and risk damaging something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts