Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had the Kawasaki running before. New battery. I have been messin with it, so lots of starting and stopping. Anyways I knew the battery was low and I decided to polish chrome while I charged the battery. I had it on slow and thought it wont take long to polish so I switched it to boost. It was not long and I smelld a little battery acid. I checked battery and I seen a little moisture on top, switched charger back to trickle. All seemed well. Except I noticed when I turned the key on that the headlight was not working anymore.

After polishing I thought I would take it for a little rip. I need to burn gas out (rather than drain it!) because the fuel **** does not close and I am geting constant overflow on the right side carb( I assume the float is not closing all the way as well?). Anyways it would not fire. Did I fry something? I have not checked much as it is at my brothers house right now.

Now...The 4 lights by the speedo/tach I know the top one is neutral, second from top is brake I believe, 3rd from top is ....power? bottom light is high/low beam. The little piece of plastic is missing to tell me which each means) Since I couldn't get it to run I noticed that the 3rd from top(second from bottom) light comes on when I turn key on, but once I engage starter it goes out after about 3 or 4 cranks. Then it takes a while(5-20 seconds) for it to come back on(once I stop cranking it over). I never noticed if it did that before.

As stated it is not here with me, but across the city or I probably would have it running by now because I keep thinking of things to try. I am generally hurried so I don't get a lot of time to try different things. I just thought I should have tried kicking it a few times. or pull the battery and check the fluid levels etc. Check points(could I have hurt them while boosting?)

Thank you, thank you and thank you again for your time in reading and helping out if you can.

Later...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would have to say, though I am not an expert on this model of bike but I highly doubt it's a power indicator light, it's pretty easy to tell when a motorcycle is on.

My guess is that is the oil pressure light, it is supposed to be on when the key is in the on position, then it goes out once started up, if it goes out then comes back on that could mean oil pressure issues.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
79 kz 750

I have 79 kz 750 the lights are from top to bottom: neutral, high/low, oil and stop light. The oil light does come on when the key is placed in the on position with the engine off. However, once the engine starts the oil light goes off. You may have fried something with the charger. Have you checked the fuses under the left side cover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the premature post. I went to my bro's today. One plug was dead. Will get new ones later. The light does not come back on until I stop cranking it over....so ya, while I am cranking it the oil pressure comes up, light goes out. Makes sense now. I have only had the bike for a week and am just getting to know it. I understand cars very well but bikes are a little new to me, mechanically speaking. I have been riding dirt bikes for years and my old man used to be a whiz fixing so if something went wrong he usually took care of it.

Thanks for the replies. I got to get me a service manual for future reference. O ya and the light was cracked before maybe the extra power when I boosted it was just enough to kill it.

Thank you very much again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts