Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of doing a multi-day trip in the spring.
The route consisting of Boston-Montreal-Quebec-Maine-Halifax-Boston.

I've never done an overnight trip never-mind a long distance trip like this.

Can anyone recommend any books or websites to help prepare me for how to do it and what to bring with me, etc?

Unfortunately The Cat ferry ceased operations this year so I'll have to take the long way to get back home. :-(

thank you in advance to everyone.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
If you do a search on the Cruisers section you'll find tons on info.... What to take, how to take it, where to go, where to stay, what to do and so on...

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
on a Daytona 675? that'll be much like I do on my sport bikes.

Get some Cortech soft luggage. both the side bags and a top bag. You may also want to consider a tank bag too.

Given the time of year, you'll need enough warm clothes for the trip and also some good rain gear (including something for your boots and your gloves).

other than that, I take long my tool pouch, zip ties, electrical tape, small flashlight, and a small tire repair kit.

Like suggested, do a search. there's lots of info we've collected over the years.

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
Chris, are you camping or staying in motels? There are many informational websites with lists of things to pack, especially for moto-camping.

There are also a couple of threads here that deal with physical training for a long journey, if you're into fitness prep.

There's a book that I think is a good one, but I can't remember the title. I will think on this and post it up if I can find it.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I think the biggest thing I learned on my first long trip is dont plan too much. You might want to stop sooner than you think on the first day or so.

Plan you're route, but be free enough to go another way if you find something interesting.

and take lots o pics.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the help and advice so far. I plan on staying in inexpensive motels along the way. Does Canada have something like a Red Roof Inn?

The preliminary route I've picked is about 1900 miles long, taking about 8-9 days.

Like I said, I am just toying with this plan so far. Just mapping the route and then figure out costs so far.

I just requested some brochures from Nova Scotia tourism today, one of the specifically for motorcyclists. I need to do some research about places to check out along the route. I might stop at Caraquet, NB to do a little bit of genealogy on my family.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
When the hubby and I do multi-day trips, we take travel wear - clothes made of techincal fabric that you can wash out at night that will be dry in the a.m. Pack only about 3 days' worth. I've seen some laundry "pads" advertised somewhere that are the size of dryer sheets but are embedded with soap and fabric softener. Cheaper than laundry mat soap and smaller than carrying traditional laundry soap. Lots of hotels have a guest laundry.

Thermal layers are also handy as they wick away moisture to keep you dry and warm, and are very thin, so they pack small.

If you're going to be out of cell range, you may want to look into a satellite phone, just in case. You might be able to rent one.

And, I totally agree with Pat - don't plan much. Especially if the weather is going to be rainy or cold. That can really take it out of you. Take plenty of breaks and stay well fed and watered.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Thank you all for the help and advice so far. I plan on staying in inexpensive motels along the way. Does Canada have something like a Red Roof Inn?

The preliminary route I've picked is about 1900 miles long, taking about 8-9 days.

Like I said, I am just toying with this plan so far. Just mapping the route and then figure out costs so far.

I just requested some brochures from Nova Scotia tourism today, one of the specifically for motorcyclists. I need to do some research about places to check out along the route. I might stop at Caraquet, NB to do a little bit of genealogy on my family.
Their are Super 8 motels throughout Canada, but I tend to find that sometimes the small mom&pop places have the best rates. I'm not familiar with the Maratimes at all, so can't comment on whether or not their is a busy tourist season that would require some pre-planning and reservations on your part.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Their are Super 8 motels throughout Canada, but I tend to find that sometimes the small mom&pop places have the best rates. I'm not familiar with the Maratimes at all, so can't comment on whether or not their is a busy tourist season that would require some pre-planning and reservations on your part.
For the most part, September is the best bet both for good riding weather and avoiding the tourists. You also get good rates when all the hotel and motel operators suddenly realize all the rooms are empty.

The Spring is going to suck for rain and cold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.