Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning our 2010 trips and wonder whether any of you have any hot tips, great places to stay, eat, visit etc.
1. Pacific Coast Highway all the way up into Washington State, down the Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake, Reno/Tahoe, Tioga Pass into Yosemite to Hetch Hetchy, down 198 through Sequoia (great road!) and back to Phoenix. ~10 days.

2. Phoenix to Kalispel, MT, Glacier NP, into Canada to Waterford, Banff and Jasper NP's, Calgery, Great Falls, Red Lodge, Cody, WY, Grand Junction, CO, Moab, Monument Valley and home. 4200 miles, ~12 days

3. Fly to Vancouver, BC Pick up rental bikes (ST1300 & FJR 1300). North to Prince Rupert, ferry to Haines, AK, to Whitehorse, YK then Dawson, YK, up to Arctic Circle and back, Fairbanks, Denali NP, back thru Whitehorse, Stewart, Prince George, Lilloot, Vancouver, fly home. 2 weeks or as long as necessary.

We are not campers... like big beds and wine, so any info on hotels etc would be great.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
When coming through The Gorge, take WA Hwy 14 - the WA side of the river. It's a beautiful drive.

If you go to stay with John in Longview, when you leave there, come I5 to Woodland then 503 past The Three Lakes, then down the Wind River to Carson and head east on 14 - the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.

If you get as far east as White Salmon/Bingen, WA, stay at the Inn of the White Salmon. Inn of the White Salmon - Columbia River Gorge Lodging - Hotel | Bed & Breakfast | Hostel. A little older, and off the Hwy, but reasonable and very good breakfasts! From there you can ride north, if you have time, up to the berry fields and Mt. Adams. That's a lovely ride too. White Salmon is a nice little place with some nice places to stretch your legs and walk to dinner and shops.

If you want desert from the river down to Crater Lake, take the east side of the Cascades. @ The Dalles, go South on Hwy 97. If you want forest, take the west side of the mountains down.

Of course, in Glacier, The Going to the Sun Road is a must do.

Have fun!!

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
On the Montana trip, I can recommend a couple of roads to take and a couple to stay away from. Just south of Kalispell at the south end of Flathead lake, you will want to take highway 35 around the east side of Flathead rather than highway 93. The road is a decent, has some good twisties and a LOT less traffic, and the scenery is pretty spectacular. About 20 miles up highway 35 is a small town called Woods Bay. The Raven is a little bar/grill that sits right on the lake. They have some pretty good food and you can go sit out on the deck right by the water. Just north of there a few miles is a town called Bigfork. It's a quaint, touristy little town that has some pretty cool gift shops and such. It's worth poking around in for a little bit.

I am not sure of the status of Glacier this year, but last year they had a good portion of the Going to the Sun highway torn up on the west side. It wasn't too bad, but expect gravel roads for a decent portion of the ride to the top. They may have it fixed by the time you get there though.

When you get near the Great Falls area, be ready for wind. It's usually pretty windy in that area (Lots of mountains to the west and plains to the east). I have not done much riding in that area, but it's an interesting drive sometimes, so be ready!

In the Red Lodge area, be ready for a spectacular ride over Beartooth Pass. It's a fun ride, but make sure to bring some cold weather clothes. Last year at the Red Lodge rally, it was in the 80's in Red Lodge, but in the 40's up top (and windy). Depending on when you go through, expect to see a fair bit of snow. And I might as well throw in a pitch to stay at the Alpine Lodge in Red Lodge and don't forget to stop in and see Jim and the people at Beartooth Kawasaki!

YouTube - Beartooth Pass July 2009 Part 1
YouTube - Beartooth Pass Scenic Overlook
YouTube - Beartooth Pass July 2009 Part 2
Sounds like you have some pretty good rides scheduled. I got a chance to ride part of your coast/Yosemite ride last year, and it was amazing!

·
Registered
935 Posts
The Black Hills, South Dakota is a great area. You can stay in Rapid City, or any of the surrounding communities. If you like lots of bikes go right before Sturgis, if you don't go earlier in the spring/summer. It is just a great area to ride. From the black hills you can go west and hit wyoming/montana. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
When coming through The Gorge, take WA Hwy 14 - the WA side of the river. It's a beautiful drive.

If you go to stay with John in Longview, when you leave there, come I5 to Woodland then 503 past The Three Lakes, then down the Wind River to Carson and head east on 14 - the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.

If you get as far east as White Salmon/Bingen, WA, stay at the Inn of the White Salmon. Inn of the White Salmon - Columbia River Gorge Lodging - Hotel | Bed & Breakfast | Hostel. A little older, and off the Hwy, but reasonable and very good breakfasts! From there you can ride north, if you have time, up to the berry fields and Mt. Adams. That's a lovely ride too. White Salmon is a nice little place with some nice places to stretch your legs and walk to dinner and shops.

If you want desert from the river down to Crater Lake, take the east side of the Cascades. @ The Dalles, go South on Hwy 97. If you want forest, take the west side of the mountains down.

Of course, in Glacier, The Going to the Sun Road is a must do.

Have fun!!
I make it a toss up between the Washington side and old highway 30. Either one is a nice ride.

The Historic Columbia River Highway History & Pictures

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.