Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Mule 2510 my left rear axle has play in it a little over an inch. it can slide in and out. Are there C clips that may have failed or not been installed when my mechanic replaced a broken axle? Please advise, Im deep in the woods and need this thing to haul my winter wood.

Thanks

·
Registered
939 Posts
where is the play? If the inner axle slides an inch out of the transmission/gearbox, then yes, there is likely a missing clip. If it is sliding on the outer axle, into and out of the hub an inch, the nut is missing or they forgot a bearing or spacer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is the play? If the inner axle slides an inch out of the transmission/gearbox, then yes, there is likely a missing clip. If it is sliding on the outer axle, into and out of the hub an inch, the nut is missing or they forgot a bearing or spacer.
When I pull on the axle or hub while connected, the axle slides out but stops. Looking at the axle while I do pull on it I see the boot expand. It stops there and does not go to the next part of the drive shaft/universal into the transfer case.

looking closer, I noticed that when I push it all the way in the inside of the hub rubs up against the guts of the brakes and wheel/ brake cylinder. So the axle seems to go in to far!
The last time this was apart was for a snapped axle closer to the gear box.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Take it apart and see what's missing or broken.

the hub should never contact the wheel cylinder. If it does, you may have a bearing failing, or a spacer missing, or whatever. Only way to know is disassembly.

Inner axle should be tight in the gearcase, should NOT move in/out at all. There is a circlip on the back of the flange that keeps the axle from sliding out. If it's moving in/out of the gearcase, the clip is missing/broken/etc. Again exploratory surgery is the way to find it.

And as a reminder the center of the axle, there is a male and female spline. That sliding spline has to be free, once they get rusty and bind, bad $tuff happen$. That is actually a service item. I like to use some spray chain grease, use a pick to pry the boot up a little, stuff the spray grease straw into the boot and spray it for a few seconds. I have seen lots of them stuck and I have seen lots of them twist the axle off among other things.

·
960 Posts
Partzilla parts diagrams can be of great help in determining if parts are missing. There are 6 versions of the 2510 parts diagrams A1 to A6. Here is a link.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it apart and see what's missing or broken.

the hub should never contact the wheel cylinder. If it does, you may have a bearing failing, or a spacer missing, or whatever. Only way to know is disassembly.

Inner axle should be tight in the gearcase, should NOT move in/out at all. There is a circlip on the back of the flange that keeps the axle from sliding out. If it's moving in/out of the gearcase, the clip is missing/broken/etc. Again exploratory surgery is the way to find it.

And as a reminder the center of the axle, there is a male and female spline. That sliding spline has to be free, once they get rusty and bind, bad $tuff happen$. That is actually a service item. I like to use some spray chain grease, use a pick to pry the boot up a little, stuff the spray grease straw into the boot and spray it for a few seconds. I have seen lots of them stuck and I have seen lots of them twist the axle off among other things.
Ok thank you. The inner axle does not move in and out. Just the outside to the inner!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts