Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im just going to throw out a whole bunch of my noob questions at once lol.

i have some general questions about how my bike works..

Diagrams.. where can i find some easy to read diagrams showing what the engine looks like out of the bike, and how the tranny attaches to the engine and other generally cool things to look at.

Everything i've read about jetting, and carbuerators for my bike, noone ever mentions ignition timing or a/f ratio. How are you guys tuning these bikes without knowing that information? Or is it suggested to go to a dyno? Even to "resynch your carbs" wouldnt you want to know the a/f is correct?

Also what kind of ignition timing does my bike run, and what determins that? Is there a distributor?

Also, is there an alternator on my motorcycle? Is it belt driven how does it work?

Ok thats it for now :-D

Thanks

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I can the alternator question, It has a reg/rectifier instead of an alternator.

Go to Kawi Motors .com and and look under owner info. That will give you diagrams.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ nice thanks!

I found this info just searching off of google, but its says motorcycles have an alternator and a recitfier (to convert or manage the voltage) as well.

"As the engine turns the alternator is generating electricity (magnets on copper wires). The electricity generated is powerful (over-powerful) and needs to be regulated by a regulator / justifier. Once corrected the electricity can flow to the component system or the storage system depending on what is need."

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
One. You do not NEED to F with the air fuel mixture. If you run in an EXACTLY as designed configuration (Air filter, airbox, jetting, exhaust) the engineers who made the bike also tuned it to within an inch of its life. It has the best rideability bone stock. Valve adjustments make more difference than anything you can do to a Ninja 250.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ gotcha

Valve adjustments, like intake and exhuast valves?

I dont plan on messing with the a/f mixture, and im not trying to reinvent the wheel. just trying to find out about my new friend ;)

Hey here is another question, i saw in a diagram there is no fuel pump, at least in the gas tank. How does the fuel get around, vacuem?

Paul

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think that anyone who does do modifications to air/fuel is mostly guessing out of their *** and that a true spot-on tuning can ONLY be done at a dyno.

Someone that fiddles with their carbs or power commanders their FI and gets the bike running better is just shooting in the dark and luckily comes across the right settings.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Will try to answer your questions. If you purchase a Kaw Factory Service Manual, it has most info in it..

"Diagrams.. where can i find some easy to read diagrams showing what the engine looks like out of the bike, and how the tranny attaches to the engine and other generally cool things to look at."

kawasaki.com has system level component parts diagrams for your bike. Go to that site; look under OWNER INFO for parts diagrams.

Everything i've read about jetting, and carbuerators for my bike, noone ever mentions ignition timing or a/f ratio. How are you guys tuning these bikes without knowing that information? Or is it suggested to go to a dyno? Even to "resynch your carbs" wouldnt you want to know the a/f is correct?

"Your bike has an electronic ignition with non-adjustable ignition timing. As far as air/fuel ratio, I personally use a professional exhaust gas analzyer when I need help setting up the air/fuel ratio... this occurs mainly at idle for the pilot circuit. It also helps to have some experience and know how a bike reacts to lean and rich mixtures. The general air/fuel mix runs from nominally 14:1 at idle to a tad over 12:1 wide open throttle."

Also what kind of ignition timing does my bike run, and what determins that? Is there a distributor?

"Again, a manual would help. Under your small points cover on the right hand side of the bike is your pickup coils for your ignition. A small rotor spins on the end of the crankshaft and goes past the pick up coils which send an electrical signal to your igniter box which in turn fires your coils. Timing is fixed in that it can't be adjusted but there is an advance curve. Not sure hows your advance works. On older bikes, there are weights on the end of arms. When the crank spins at a certain rate, the arms sling out from centrifical force and a mechanical advance mechanism rotate on the crank end until maximum advance is achieved... usually happens at about 2700-3000 rpm. On newer bikes, the igniter box is smarter and uses a vacuum feed from the intake assembly to adjust the ignition advance. As the throttle is opened, the vacuum to the igniter changes and the advance is governed electronically by a map inside the igniter."

Also, is there an alternator on my motorcycle? Is it belt driven how does it work?

"You have an alternator on your bike driven/attached to your crankshaft under the large engine cover on the left side of the bike (as you sit on it). It rotates and their are windings and magnets which generate most likely three legs of alternating current (can also be two on some models). This current goes to the regulator/rectifier which changes the AC waveform to a DC waveform and uses a feedback circuit connected to the wiring harness to produce the appropriate amount of current. Too little or two much is not good. The DC goes to your POS battery pole and the main fuse in your fuse box where it then goes to your ignition switch."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ good stuff thanks!

I will check out those websites and sources for more info like you guys are suggesting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts