Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Back In Saddle
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I'm picking out a helmet for my 12 year old daughter. I use a full face Icon helmet but as a passenger isn't a full face a pain. Bikes a Vulcan 1500 2005. Girlfriend has a Hawk open face dual visor and likes it ...thats her choice but for the kid I'd like full face protection. How bad does the full face hinder the enjoyment of ride, being able to hang on properly etc. Comments?
Thanx
Rossco

·
Registered
644 Posts
My 12yo never had a problem.

I put too much money into his braces and such to not make him wear a ff.

·
Back In Saddle
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 12yo never had a problem.

I put too much money into his braces and such to not make him wear a ff.
Haha...To funny. My daughter has around 5000.00 in her mouth right now also. You just made my mind up. Never thought of that. Thanx.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My spare is a ff as well, and neither the kids nor the wife have complained at all. Other than not hearing the music at highway speeds.

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
Wife chose full face ... 15 year old wears hers. Bought an XS full face for the 13 and 9 year old. No complaints from anyone.

BTW - I wear an open face.

·
VN900
208 Posts
When you don't give kids a choice, then there is no problem. If you let her pick out the color she'll probably be very happy. Personally I think the passenger should wear a FF & if communication becomes an issue, then there is always a Scala or other systems out there.

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
When you don't give kids a choice, then there is no problem. If you let her pick out the color she'll probably be very happy. .
Yup. Forgot to add that their XS helmet has a "cool" pattern and color on it....
:wink:

·
Searching for shade
81 Posts
My wife has a ff helmet and loves it. She had did a few rides with a friend with only a 3/4. She prefers the ff of the 3/4 helmet. My 2 daughters can wear it and don't know the diffrence, but I know the diffrence of the protection level. They will always have a ff if they ride with me.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
My wife wears a full face helmet as a passenger and only hit helmets once! She now knows the correct distance between our heads . . .

It seems that every crash that I hear about, the rider has facial damage due to a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet. I like my full face helmet . . .

·
Back In Saddle
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx all. Just wasn't sure her being shorter if they would be able to hang on properly etc. (face mashed into middle of my back but thats more of a problem with C rockets) As I mentioned I wanted full face protection for her. I measured around her head ..21 ". Looks like a extra small as I want to order online. Some nice designs (of course dragons and lions etc) she likes and decient prices. Getting the Scala dual set up for Christmas for myself (mp3 compatible) among other things lol. Music and communication shouldn't be a problem after that.
Thanks again.
Rossco

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
The hanging on is a "problem" on any bike, depending on how you accelerate. I got my son a full face Vega Jr. helmet and full leathers. I would never let him on a bike with anything less. He normally has his head turned to one side or the other since he can't see through me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been on bikes and sleds all my life and it is full face for me and my family. Have had to many wrecks on dirt bikes and sleds where the full face protected me. I will sometimes ride without a helmet and will always believe it should be a chioce for the driver. Passenger I'm on the fence if over 18. Under 18 it's always a helmet driving or passenger. As stated earlier, let kids pick color not style.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Thanx all. Just wasn't sure her being shorter if they would be able to hang on properly etc. (face mashed into middle of my back but thats more of a problem with C rockets) As I mentioned I wanted full face protection for her. I measured around her head ..21 ". Looks like a extra small as I want to order online. Some nice designs (of course dragons and lions etc) she likes and decient prices. Getting the Scala dual set up for Christmas for myself (mp3 compatible) among other things lol. Music and communication shouldn't be a problem after that.
Thanks again.
Rossco
don't buy a helmet online without trying the same model on first.

you'll never be sure of a perfect fit, or if the helmet is the right shape for her head.
Every manufacturer makes their helmets shaped slightly differently. What is fine for one person with a certain head size might be wrong for someone with a very similar head size.

I fit a Large in some makes, a Medium in others, a Small in others... and sometimes even a Large from the same manufacturer will fit me in one of their models but not in another of their models. Some don't fit snugly enough to the cheeks, and others my head is too squished. Some the fit feels good, but my head can still move alot inside.

try em on first, and then if you're sure it's a perfect fit, go online and look for a cheaper option... although personally i'd rather buy in store as you never know how the box with you helmet in is gonna be treated by the postal service.

remember an illfitting helmet will not work to it's full potential in the event of a crash.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I wear a halfie and the wife wears a full, my spare/winter is a full as well. I would put the youngster in a full just for safety sake.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I decided that my 9 yr old daughter was going to wear a FF this year. At first she wasn't to excited about it till I let her decide on the paint scheme on it. She went with a nice pink and chrome job. Now shes more than happy to wear it. :)

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
If your daughter is not full grown, Scorpion and others provide some growth potential within the same shell size by buying a new liner or insert to go up one size later. I agree with Steve...spend the time going in to a shop and having a fitting visit to make sure her noggin is protected well.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
If your daughter is not full grown, Scorpion and others provide some growth potential within the same shell size by buying a new liner or insert to go up one size later. I agree with Steve...spend the time going in to a shop and having a fitting visit to make sure her noggin is protected well.
I forgot about that. Sure beats buying a different helmet every year or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts