Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tsukayu Fairing VN1600 Classic (Review / Install) Completed

Ok guys and gals,

After waiting 5 weeks for this fairing to arrive I figured I will start a review and install thread for people interested in this fairing. Bare with me right now because I can not post up pictures till I get home from work tonight. I plan on completely installing the fairing tomorrow and will have pictures posted throughout the process. So people will be able to see fitment, inside the fairing, and some other things that i found difficult to find by searching the net.

So lets get my inital impressions started and I will post the pictures up tonight once I get home.

Ordering and Shipping:

I decided to order my fairing through Meancycles out of Miami, FL after reading some good reviews on them from here. I ordered a "Stereo Ready gloss black 6 1/2 speaker fairing with 8 inch smoked shield". I did this for two reasons. First I wasn't fond of dealing with PayPal through Tsukayu directly (had several issues with paypal in the past). Second I figured it would be easier to deal with a company stateside due to the odd hours Tsukayu had because of their location.

Well I call Meancycles to inquire about the fairing tell them what I want and order it. The person I talked to stated they try to keep some in stock so he wanted to check. I figured bonus if they do, regardless i was going to order and I knew I would be in for a 3-4 week delivery date. The person got back on the phone and stated they did not have any of the one I wanted but he would ask his manager if they had already ordered some to restock and that would cut my wait time down. Ok Cool.

3 days and 2 phone calls from me later, no one could answer my question about if they were already ordered or not so I gave up, and confirmed that it would be 3-4 weeks until I would get it which they said yes. I also found out at that time there was an additional $40 handling charge for fairings which was located all the way at the bottom of the page when you are viewing your actual product. Would be nice if they had that some where in plain view.

At week 3, I call Meancycles for a status and they couldn't give me one. Week 4, I call and I'm told that there was a delay due to Chineese New Year. Finially I contacted Tsukayu directly during their business hours to inquire about all of this and was told with in two hours of sending them the email, that it shipped to Meancycles that day Monday the 22nd of March. I got a tracking number from Meancycles Thursday March 25th and the package arrived Today Tuesday March 30th. Exactly 5 weeks after I ordered.

Ok so today when this thing arrives I'm pretty impressed with the packaging. It is a fiberglass box which is bolted and hinged like others have reported and well packaged inside. The fairing was not damaged at all. Again I will post pictures up tonight. Evidently Meancycles opened the package because there was a Meancycle T-shirt inside and invoice.

Now I get the fairing out and guess what wasn't in the box. The windshield. Now I'm getting aggrivated. 5 weeks, no information, no one calling back when they say they will and now the windshild is not in the box. I call Meancycles and they state that yeah they noticed that and I should have it next week some time. Wrong answer. I told them I have already been waiting 5 weeks, the bike is apart waiting for this stuff, and now I have to wait another week for the shield? Long and short of it, they are going to overnight the shield as soon as they get it. I told them to call me when they had it, but they probably won't.

Unfortunately, I will not be ordering from Meancycles again because it seemed they could careless about following up with their customers. especially with returned phone calls. I do suggest that if anyone is going to order from Tsukayu, you may have a better experience dealing directly with them. All of the emails I sent to them were replied to within 1 to 3 hours of them being sent.

Inital Pros and Cons:

The Good. The finish and overall sturdiness of the fairing seems to be of good quality. When you feel it it feels solid, yet light, and the brackets bolted directly to the frame and have a high quality mirror polish so they match the fork covers nicely on the Vulcan 1600 classic. The inital fitment litterally took 15 minutes. I think it took me longer to find the allen keys and the stock bolts since I had a Memphis Shades Sport shield on there. The wiring harness also seems to be nice and waterproof. It also appears to make for a nice clean install and easy removal of the fairing in the future when needed.

The Bad, there are some parts where the inner and outer fairing could have mated up a lot better. Especially on the outer most edges close to where the speakers are. There are small gaps and the weatherstripping they have there does not come close to sealing it up. I'm going to have to find something better and thicker to seal this. Especially that close to the speakers. There is a similar gap on the lower part of the fairing and under the "headlight tunnel" where the two halves meet. The pictures below is a sample of some of the gaps around the edges shown by the light shining through. Basically the inner faring has no bolts that keep it snug against the sides. Also the bolts provided to mount the brackets to the fork covers seeme dto be galvanized and not stainless like everything else. So I opted to use the original allen head bolts (after I found them) and they work just as well.

To fix the gap I think I'm going to buy a roll of generic use weather stripping from the auto store about 1/4 inch thick and run it around the inside of the outer fairing and maybe the outside edge replaceing what is there on the inner faring. I will let you know if that happens or not.

Tomorrow I will post up the actual installation with pictures. I plan on starting at 7am and working till I am done.

Respectfully,

Mike

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I tried adding pictures here by getting the image codes and hand typing them in here via my blackberry. Tell me if they worked. should be 4 photos total. If they are entirely too big let me know and I will take them down till I can resize them tonight.

At work they have photobucket blocked so I can't see that site or any pictures liked from their site.

·
Registered
437 Posts
worked great no problems. Size is good too. Pics are fine. Can't wait to see it all mounted up. Got me interested. Too bad its not a MeanStreak. Dont know if I'll ever go that far though but then again I didn't think I would go as far as I did with mine either. LOL

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks for checking if they worked. I will try and get pictures tonight of the gaps posted up. Then I will post all the pictures after the install tomorrow and what i did to improve on it.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Looks good so far SilverB!

The windscreen bolts look to be in the standard Harley EC / EG spot. You will have a multitude of windshield options.

I got an over-sized (width wise) from this guy. It is about 3 inches wider on each side and I love it!

I can measure my bolt holes if you would like to know for sure. Let me know.

Custom FLHT Windshields

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good so far SilverB!

The windscreen bolts look to be in the standard Harley EC / EG spot. You will have a multitude of windshield options.

I got an over-sized (width wise) from this guy. It is about 3 inches wider on each side and I love it!

I can measure my bolt holes if you would like to know for sure. Let me know.

Custom FLHT Windshields
Yes if you could measure them that would be great. I'm looking at possibly a WindVest windshield after hearing several good things about them including my buddy who has an Ultra and he is purchasing one. I actually texted him eailer to see what the bolt mesurements are but he is out of town.

I also want to get a chrome strip to brake up the front a bit and have seen a few cool ones.

Thanks for the info!

-Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am so glad I found your post. I was just about to order one of these for my Vulcan 900 Classic. I am a bit concerned about the gaps that you mention. I hate to pay $1300 for one of these and it have poor craftsmanship. I am looking forward to your other pics

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am so glad I found your post. I was just about to order one of these for my Vulcan 900 Classic. I am a bit concerned about the gaps that you mention. I hate to pay $1300 for one of these and it have poor craftsmanship. I am looking forward to your other pics
Yes I know what you mean. I will post pictures tonight of them. I get off work at 11pm and it takes me 15 minutes to get home. Hell I may even start working on it tonight so I can spend more time riding instead of sitting.

Oh wait, that is if I can find a shield. I'll see if my buddy has an only one from his Ultra laying around. Or I may have some scrap plexi laying around and make one real quick.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I added more of the inital Pictures like I stated I would.

There are pictures of the plug, More angles on my bike, and an example of the gap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks good. I went ahead and ordered mine last night. I ordered direct from the company so we shall see how smoothly that goes. I looked at several other brands and for the money it seems like this is a good deal.

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
The gap at the ends are common. The first fairing I got was so bad I sent it back. And the one they sent me in replacement still had a small gap. One of the problems is the cheap piece of plastic they call a windshield. When you get it it is so thin you'll swear they made a mistake. And you bend it into shape. I replaced the original windshield with one from Clearview, about three or four times as thick, and the gap went away. Good luck with yours. I also put two plugs in the lower left side, one to replace the acessory wire and plug hanging and the other was wired so I can plug in the ear speakers inside my helmet.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Yes if you could measure them that would be great. I'm looking at possibly a WindVest windshield after hearing several good things about them including my buddy who has an Ultra and he is purchasing one. I actually texted him eailer to see what the bolt mesurements are but he is out of town.

I also want to get a chrome strip to brake up the front a bit and have seen a few cool ones.

Thanks for the info!

-Mike
On the HD fairing, from the center of one of the side bolts to the edge of the fairing, it is 1-1/4". From the center bolt to center of one of the edge bolts is 10-1/4". I used a string to keep my centers (vertical and horizontal) then measured the string length.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Unfortunately, I will not be ordering from Meancycles again because it seemed they could careless about following up with their customers. especially with returned phone calls. I do suggest that if anyone is going to order from Tsukayu, you may have a better experience dealing directly with them. All of the emails I sent to them were replied to within 1 to 3 hours of them being sent.
Nice job and write up. Now you understand why I won't do business with them ever again too. Same reason. Once they have your money customer support is out the window.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THE MOMENT YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR

Ok I'm going to have to do this in several posts so bare with me.

Installation - Dealing with gaps

Ok so since I'm anal and I want to protect my electrical equipment the best I can from dust and water I went to the parts store at 8am and bought these to try and make some type of seal.

The 3M stuff almost worked, but I ended up removing it because it was too noticable. I did use the trim to help lessen the gap under where it meets above the headlight.

So after 3 trips to homedepot, 2 trips to the Auto parts store, and 1 trip to the local hardware store I ended up using.......rubber garage door seal.

Here is the link to the exact product I used.

9 Ft. L Rubber Garage Door Bottom Seal - G9H at The Home Depot

For around the gap for the head light I used this and guerilla tape to hold it in place and made a horse shoe. This covers the gap when the pieces are together.

For around the rest of the edge of the faring I sliced down the middle length wise of the rubber door seal and used only the side that looked like an "L". I then placed 3m molding tape close to the corner on the back side of the "L" and slowly ran it around the inside of the outer fairing. I used the rubber trim there as a guide so it sat back some. After it was placed again I used guerilla tape to hold the back edge down for added security. You will see where I'm going with this in a min.

When you mate it up the inner and outer faring after playing around a bit the rubber will seal up against the inner faring. Now I'n not sure how will it will do with a major downpour but it should hold up and keep a lot more water out than before and dust as well.

Here is a picture of the gap under the headlight sealed up with that "horseshoe". If you look closely, you can see the rubber.

Overall this has to be the worst part about the fairing. The fitment could have been better, and quite frankly If you ride in the rain a lot I would not get this fairing. I don't so I guess I'll be ok.

Next Stereo Install........

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Installation - Stereo

Since I like toys I ended up going with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 head unit and Polk marine grade componet speakers (6 1/2 round).

The first thing I did was mounted the speakers. This again was an issue. The mounting surface was curved inward, and it was too much of a pain in the arse to try and use adapters without it looking like crap. So very carefully I held the woofers in place with 3M molding tape and drilled a pilot hole while the speakers were in place. This is not for amatures because if you use too big of a bit you can kick the speakers or drill wif you nip the metal mounting ring on the basket.

As you can see in the pictures there is little room for error. The fiberglass seemed thick enough so luckily it didn't crack.

I used stainless steel hex heads and lock nuts on the back with rubber and SS washers. I also installed the tweeters. They were two simple holes on for the mounting screw dead center and then one for the wire.

Next I grabbed the mounting bracket for the head unit and it fit like a glove. Bent the tabs in place and took a scrap piece of door rubber and placed it on the top. The mounting is solid, doesn't wiggle and the only way you are getting it out is to take the faring apart. This is the one thing I was very happy with once I got it in place. I was worried it would not be sturdy.

Finally after I got it all mounted I worked on the wiring. I won't bore you with step by step, but here is a final picture of how it is inside the fairing. Sexy and clean.

Next Final Thoughts and Pictures.....

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Final Look (minus the windshield) and Final Thoughts

Ok sorry for the poor quality pictures but it was almost midnight when I finished. Again this is minus the windshield due to it not being shipped like it was supposed to be.

Doesn't matter because I ordered a new WindVext 4 inch gun smoke shield (61-4040 part number on Windvest) and a chrome windshield trim piece from Kuryakyn with a small skull in the center. It should be here on Monday.

My final thoughts on this whole ordeal. I would probably not order this fairing again. The fitment / Mating issue between the inner and outer just bothers me too much.

If they would fix the maiting issue weather it be by metal tabs at the top that are inserted into the fiberglass like the nuts are for the mounting locations, then a metal tounge that goes in the tab. It would help keep that snug. If they did something like that this would be an excellent fairing for the money and they would probably get a lot more business. They also need to work on the mounting area for the speakers. It should be flat, not rounded and dropping off going into the speaker hole. I have no idea where the confusion was. I ordered true 6 1/2 speakers figureing it would be a nice snug fit. The holes I think are made more to accomadate true 6 3/4 speakers (yes the size exists).

That aside, the mounting brakets are solid there is no wiggle what so ever. The actual finish of the paint was nice except for the small scratch I put in it and will have my buddy buff it out at his shop real quick. Surface is smooth and feels like glass. No signs of orange peel. The disconnect is also a giant plus. It makes removing the fairing take about 2 minutes top. 4 bolts, disconnect the wire, and it is off. Will come in handy for when I wash the rest of the bike.

I hope this helps some people out. I know I had a hard time trying to get information on pros and cons with this fairing. I searched all winter and found very limited info.

Respectfully,

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks good. I cant wait to see the finished product. I ordered mine 2 nights ago but have not heard from the company yet. I am curious to see how it goes since I ordered directly from the company. I ordered mine with the stereo and speakers so I am hoping that if there are any gaps when then put it together then they will fix it before shipping it. We'll see.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. The weather is going to be beautiful all weekend so today I work up early whipped out some plexi and made myself a temporary 4 inch shield. Turned out pretty well for the first time making round shapes and such with plexi. It looks like it could have been stock.

I got out and have been riding all day. The stereo sounds good and even at 85mph you can hear it no issue with volume to spare. The speakers being componets with their own crossovers and the headunit having one hell of an EQ really cuts back on the distortion to almost nil cranked.

I had a grin on my face all day. My two friends I ride with who both have ultras loved it. I got to the fire department and didn't even get off the bike and they were all over checking it out.

Gotta love the Kawa Glide....lol

1 - 20 of 59 Posts