Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Enjoy the ride
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order for my Tsukayu patrol bags and finally received them. I am holding off for the time being on installing them which is not easy. Since I can't ride now due to the weather, I at least want to work on the bike.

I have been considering ordering a trunk for my bike as well, either the Mutazu or scootworks. I know the differences in quality between the two but sometimes available funds makes the decision. I will most likely order a Wompus rack to mount the trunk.

My question is: will the patrol bags work with a trunk since they open upwards instead of out? Will the lids of the bags hit the trunk or is some kind of special modification necessary?

Since I have to manually drill holes to install the patrol bags I only want to do it once. So any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I don't have a trunk, but I'm pretty sure they take top opening bags into account during the design. There are other members here that have a trunk with top opening bags and I do not believe it is an issue, BUT, do not take my word on that! ;)

As far as doing the bags, get a friend to help you if you can. I did mine myself, and am completely incompetent, but it was a PITA!!! And extra set of hands and eyes would have been a tremendous help. I did manage to get them mounted near dead on though. In a nut shell, this is a trick I used to line of the holes on both bags.

I used painters tape and taped up the back of both bags. This was for two reasons. Drilling being the main one so that they don't splinter. Once I got the first bracket mounted where I wanted it, I left that bracket on. I then coated the mounting areas (spot where the bolts go in) with a marker. I then quickly and carefully lined up the bag over the other one and pushed down marking the area on the tape. There's probably an easier and more technical way to do it but it worked for me. :lol:

Biggest thing. Check, recheck and then recheck again before you drill. I'm serious when I say that I am incompetent with stuff like this and I managed to do it rather well (pats self on back). Like I said, there are probably easier ways to do it, and quicker, but if I can do it anyone can.

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
Depending on how you mount the saddlebags they CAN be a problem with the trunk, at least the trunk from Scootworks. The problem is the stock pipes, you have to mount the bags high enough to clear the double pipes on one side and then YES, when you open the bags they will touch the trunk. Fortunately you do have enough flexibility to bend the lids so they slide just under the trunk and open and close. It was a PITA but doable. I solved the problem by switching to RoadHouse Dooley's and remounting the bags. As far as the old holes were concerned, four black plastic plugs from Lowe's snapped right into them. If I ever have to change back to the stock pipes I'll just have to move the plugs.

·
Enjoy the ride
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depending on how you mount the saddlebags they CAN be a problem with the trunk, at least the trunk from Scootworks. The problem is the stock pipes, you have to mount the bags high enough to clear the double pipes on one side and then YES, when you open the bags they will touch the trunk. Fortunately you do have enough flexibility to bend the lids so they slide just under the trunk and open and close. It was a PITA but doable. I solved the problem by switching to RoadHouse Dooley's and remounting the bags. As far as the old holes were concerned, four black plastic plugs from Lowe's snapped right into them. If I ever have to change back to the stock pipes I'll just have to move the plugs.
Thanks for the info. I have Cobra HP 2 into 1 pipes. So i should be able to mount the bags a little lower than if i were using the stock pipes. Do you think this will help clear a trunk once installed?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the strong bags.. My trunk should be delivered by the time I get home. If it arrives in one piece(2 havent) I will mount it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have the stock pipes and also soft (leather type material) bags. But I fiddled and measured and messed with mine fore a day or more trying to make sure I had them where I wanted and only drill once like you said. So I mounted them up and they looked great. About 8 or 10 months later I gues from having my rain gear in them all the time (the right one) I noticed they were touching the pipes. Well did not melt the bag or anything but you could definatly tell they were touching it all the time. I was afraid that inside the bag on a long trip the rain suits would get to hot and melt. So I remounted the bag a bit higher and also installed a heat shield. I went to Home Depot or Lowes (I forget now) got a piece of aluminum that would cover the bottom of the bag and trimed it to fit. Then drilled six holes in the bottom of the bag to hold the metal. I used rivits but also installed a couple washers between the aluminum and the bag to create an air gap. I did this with a bike I had before and only used 4 rivits one at each corner, those were a fiberglass bag. Just info if you need it.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread, but how was your experience ordering from tsukayu? I'm really considering buting the stereo ready fairing painted black from them and then getting my own stereo equipment. Did you order from their site? How long did it take with shipping? How was it packed? happy with the product quality?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I didnt order my bags directly from Tsukayu. Others have posted times of 4 to 6 weeks. I ordered my bags through meancycles. They were in stock at the time and I got them in about 10 days.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread, but how was your experience ordering from tsukayu? I'm really considering buting the stereo ready fairing painted black from them and then getting my own stereo equipment. Did you order from their site? How long did it take with shipping? How was it packed? happy with the product quality?
I ordered my bags from Meancycles as well, but they were not in stock. It took about 4 weeks for them to arrive. A little long but it was worth it. Bags came packed in this fiberglass like box. Very protective IMO. There was a little scuff on one of the bags. Nothing that couldn't be buffed out but still irritated me considering the money I paid. Overall, if you can find them in stock somewhere then good for you. If not, like classicblack said, 4-6 weeks. They take awhile but they DO come in.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Cool,

I'm not ordering the bags, I'm getting a fairing. I looked at Meancycles site and they have them on there so I'll call them in a bit and order it from them.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Cool,

I'm not ordering the bags, I'm getting a fairing. I looked at Meancycles site and they have them on there so I'll call them in a bit and order it from them.

Thanks guys.
I would think that the fairing would come packed similarly. Meancycles are good people. Never had an issue ordering from them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Something you might want to think about: a couple of years ago I ordered a set of Tsukayu bags. After a few days I decided to cancel the order and go with the National Cycle bags because I didn't want to wait the 6 weeks... They were very nice about canceling the order, but about a month later I received notice that the bags had shipped! I called and was told to ignore the notice, that they hadn't shipped. Well, a week later I received notice from Fed Ex that they were on their way, and I was being billed by Fed Ex for domestic shipping. At this point I was pretty ****ed off... The bags eventually made it back to Tsukayu, and Fed Ex eventually canceled what they had billed me, but the part that permanently soured me to Tsukayu was their claim of "free shipping." That wasn't true. Only the international portion of their shipping was free, the domestic portion was not. I found this to be grossly deceitful and decided I'd never order from them again.

windman

·
Registered
711 Posts
At one point there used to be a code you could enter at checkout on meancycles and get an additional 5 or 7 % off.. For the life of me I cant remember it..

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
I talked to Meancycle a little bit ago. He wasn't sure if his manager had any already ordered, so if not he said it would be about 3 weeks. I ordered it online on the meancycle site. It was $875. After looking at the page again it said at the very bottom about a $40 flat handling fee due to being oversized. It didn't come up in the checkout so who knows. I'll accept that if it comes to that but if there ends up being anymore charges I'll tell them to pound salt.

The guy on the phone at Meancycles was cool, so he is supposed to call me back once he talks to his manager. I'll just ask him then.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I talked to Meancycle a little bit ago. He wasn't sure if his manager had any already ordered, so if not he said it would be about 3 weeks. I ordered it online on the meancycle site. It was $875. After looking at the page again it said at the very bottom about a $40 flat handling fee due to being oversized. It didn't come up in the checkout so who knows. I'll accept that if it comes to that but if there ends up being anymore charges I'll tell them to pound salt.

The guy on the phone at Meancycles was cool, so he is supposed to call me back once he talks to his manager. I'll just ask him then.
I'm pretty sure that's what I paid for my bags and I wasn't charged anything extra.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts