Motorcycle Addict | Michael Padway, Motorcycle Accident Attorney

Am visually-orientated, and cannot rely on my audio senses
(or lack thereof) to help me deal with my environment. Guess
I need to borrow my wife's or daughter's iPod, and see how it '
affects my riding? :confused:

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I love having my own soundtrack while out on the open road. I pretty much always take my iPod, and have playlists made up for different types of riding and roads. I never listen to music in an urban environment though.

·
Can You See Me Now?
325 Posts
When I'm riding I usually have my Ipod going. I thought mudsic and a bike just didn't make sense until that Sturgis stop and go traffic, a lady pulls up next to me on her Goldwing, stereo blasting. I went and got an Ipod the next week!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wear an open faced helmet and the combination of wind noise and the Cobra pipes makes it almost impossible to hear anything else, so listening to music for me isn't much of a distraction at all. I always use my IPOD on longer trips. My daily commute is 8 minutes so the IPOD would be more of a hassle to put on and take off since I'd only be able to listen to 2 songs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I ride I do one thing...ride. I do not listen to music, wear a bluetooth, or anything else. One a long open road trip I might listen to music but never in the city or during daily driving.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
I listen to the V twin tango my entire ride!

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
people who commented on the ipod while riding, do you listen via earbuds?

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I bought a set of helmet speakers (ear phone pads that just stick inside the ear holes of a 3/4 helmet. Plug in my iPod clone and hit the road.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Ive wondered about this. I would like to but i rode just to the store the other day with my half helmet on, was on the highway for just a few minutes and found it to be uncomfortable...and loud (wind i mean) do you wear a full face?

ive also wondered if it was illegal in Ohio to do so.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I though riding or driving with headphones/earbuds was illeagal? I understood that only one ear could have an earphone (for hands free phone use).

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Depends on the extent of your Nannystate, use the link from Iowadirt. I use earbuds but thats only because my Boosteroo didn't have enough umph to make my helmet speakers audable at highway speeds. Earbuds and my input devices are set lower to midrange. They are uncomfortable only when taking the helmet off. My high school music instructors thesis was on increased productivity when listening to music. You either shut off part of your brain OR increase your capacity focusing better on the task at hand, which in this case would be riding the motorcycle. Now, if you are a constant flipper of the station, searcher of the track, you could spend more time doing that then paying attention, but if you just stick it on the mix and go, you are more aware, even though the time goes quicker. That is also a benefit as you assuage fatigue.

On my last 500 mile trip I remember thinking 'Are we here already?'

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
I have a Nolan Modular Helmet (N-102) with speakers in the helmet. I plug my IPod in and away I go. I have about a 20-30 minute ride to work thats mostly highway and enjoy the tunes. I even have a backup IPod for longer trips so if one dies the other is charged up and full of (other) tunes. On some days i think its more dangerous to be "in my head" than listening to music.

·
Registered
96 Posts
no noise

I'm a musician and I don't even listen to music on the bike, hell,I don't even use the stereo in my vette much! I like to hear the engine.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
To answer your post topic question, I think handle bar mount speakers would be safer than earbud, headphone etc.
Very hard to say if it's the safest thing to do but many many people do listen to music, as well as communicate with other devices as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts