Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've just bought a 1980 KZ440 and a KZ440 LTD, the first runs, the LTD not so much. The one that runs needs a little work, and I wanted to be 100% about what I am doing. First of all, it needs a carb tuning/cleaning as it runs very smoothly excepting a small "put" every few seconds, almost regularly, its not loud, nothing comes out the exhaust pipe, just noise, possible carb tune, or clean I'd like some advise on that if you could.

Secondly, it has a minor leak from the left side of the tank/motor area (left while sitting on bike). Not 100% sure what it is from, could be lines, could be carb, could be, and most likely, the petcock, or seals around it. If you could give advise as to other options, or how to check for certain, please advise too.

That brings me to the final question, how do you replace the petcock. I have a replacement one, off a parts bike i have. Are there any specific seals or whatever i might need. Anything will be helpful, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
"PHUT"

You might try to do a compression check for the "put" that you have...sounds like a valve adjustment. Remember to ground the plug after you remove it, crank the engine over with the Throttle Wide open (WOT) and do it on all af the cylinders so that you have a reference...keep it with the mileage for yor records. I would recommend this for ANYONE on a regular basis...maybe on an Annual Inspection. Compression checks are important, and I would have them re recorded after any valve adjustments adjustments, for at least a month or two later. I'm big on records and having just one disk or several of them is a great thing when you want to look something up or you want to print it out.
POR-15 makes a gas tank sealant that is for small tanks such as motorcycles...should you need it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts