Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a turbo on a KZ550 or any KZ for that matter. I currently own an 81 and I have a spare turbo from an old Mercedes diesel. I was wondering how much work I'm looking at. Im thinking i will have to fabricate my own blow off valve...any info will help. Also, cost?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i guess ill try and reply to this even though i have no experience turboing a motorcycle..

But from my experience with cars there are a few things you will have to address.. that go alittle bit beyond a "blowoff valve"..

1. Fuel - your adding more air, so on a car you'd need bigger fuel injectors or a big bump in fuel pressure via an adjustable FPR. So for a motorcycle new jetting
2. You'll need to tune the bike to maintain the proper a/f ratio
3. Timing.. you may need to adjust the ignition timing of your bike to prevent detonation on pump gas
4. Installation.. you will have to fabricate custom exhuast manifold, and really the rest of the exhuast
5. Oiling/Cooling of the turbo - You will have to install custom oil lines and coolent lines coming to and from the turbo (some turbos dont have coolent jackets though) The oil/coolent reseviors feeding the turbo should be level with or higher than the turbo so everything flows well.
6. Oil cooler.. just a guess, but your oil may now be much hotter after going through your turbo, do you want that going straight into your engine without additional cooling.
7. Compression ratio.. - is the CR of your engine is too high you'll end up having to run low boost and get bad results generally speaking
8. that BOV you mentioned.. forget it.. just run without one, or plumb the air back in. regardless thats the minor detail of the project IMO
9. brackets - you may need to install a bracket to support the turbo
10. boost control- you can either run wastegate boost (probably the best idea on a bike), or use a manual or electric boost controller to maintain proper boost pressure
11. wheelies - you'll be doing alot of wheelies when your done haha

thats all i got.. im sure plenty of people have done this, and its a fun project.. but to me its more than just bolting a turbo on. especially with cars.. maybe its easier with motorcycles i dunno.

goodluck

·
Registered
30 Posts
You forgot two steps.. :lol:

4) Fix mitsubishi when it breaks
5) Fix mitsubishi when it breaks again.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
With the TWENTY FIVE GRAND I saved on my free Galant VR-4, (as opposed to PaulRex's other turbo, all wheel drive rallye champion sedan) I can AFFORD to fix it. And since I no longer toil as a Mitsubishi Master Technician having taken every factory class on this car, I actually ENJOY working on it now..

RC engineering made a turbo kit for the KZ550 BITD, IIRC. Don't reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
haha man im just kidding.. I got my *** handed to me at the strip one night by a GVR4.. he ran like a low 12 to my low 13, and then to rub it in he told me he was running lower boost than normal. those are rare cars nowadays too

But if they make a turbo kit for your bike.. thats the way to go handsdown. way easier

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
We all good. When the factories had their short infatuation with hairdryers, they used 650s and 750s. IHI made a turbo for the Pontiac Turbo Firefly (Canadian Model which is the smallest car blow dryer I've seen.) Car is also known as the turbo sprint and turbo swift. Next smaller is a 9g from a 3000 VR-4 ANY of the bike turbos is a better bet, esp the Yamaha Seca 650 unit. You won't make enough exhaust to spool up a bigger one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts