Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hand made everything. The turbo, is originally supposed to be fitted on a 1.7l mazda miata. Which is awesome because its oil and liquid cooled- very reliable. And yes, she's very fast ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Custom painted, fitted with 8lbs of boost, lowered, and what not. Everything done by yours truly. Just curious on you all's opinion.- Darren
I know nothing about exhausts for turbos. Are there specs for the dimensions of the exhaust? Reason I ask, visually, it may look better if it turned one more time and ran longer over the swing arm.

Don't get me wrong, looks good. I am just not sure if the swing arm looks too naked at this point.

On another note, mods like this motivate others to try/do, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! The reason for the upswept exhaust was a few things, I had it originally dumping straight down from the turbo. but it wasnt loud enough surprisingly the turbo acts as a muffler quite well. So I megaphoned it out a little and pointed it up... it sounds.... unbelievably throaty and tough.. Makes your inside's churn just a little. I also wish I could do something about that big empty spot under the swinger but since the exhaust is just 1 big tube; I think it looks kinda funny running back unless its dual exhaust. Any ideas to do something about that blank spot under the swinger?

Attachments

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Hmmmm....

OK, please, don't take this the wrong way, because I can really apreciate all the fabrication that you had to put into it, but I'm just not into the look. To me, it looks odd and disjointed. I just like a more refined look for a cruiser. Not sure if your finished, or plan on making it look less "home made". Could also be that I'm veiwing it on my phone...

That said, I really like the idea. Not enough people do something truely unique with their bikes. Everything is 'catalog' built, with a credit card. And very little of it adds any performance. So you get a big thumbs up from me!!!

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Did you use some sorta wierd photo editor filter on the pics? ..it almost looks like the turbo kit is photoshopped onto the bike.. :-|

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
I think you have a real winner there. that paint work on the top of the tank and fender is fantastic. Would love to have a whole paint job done in a bada$$ wood grain like that. Very cool.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Since you did this yourself, I have to ask:
1. What changes did you do to the ignition system to accomodate boost?
2. What changes did you do to the fuel system for the higher demands of a turbo?
3. What modifications did you do to the oiling/cooling systems to support the increased loads that a turbo places on said systems?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol! Ya I spent all winter photoshopping a turbo on my bike ;). I did use a program to put more contrast in the pictures for more detail, thats about it. As for accommodating for the turbo. Since I live here in the rocky mountains at 6500 ft(19.5% less oxygen) and i'm only running 6-8 lbs of boost, and the stock compression is only 9:1 I got away with not having to mess with the lower end/ignition other than a h.d. clutch spring and some engine ice coolant. I also talked to Mr. Turbo who made a kid for the meanstreak for a short time and they said they sold a bolt on kit with 8 lbs of boost with no mods (at sea level). I rode her for the 1st time yesterday with no pre-detination with 91octane. As for the fuel delivery, I have a powercommander on it, and at my shop I am the dynotuner so I tuned it in via my labtop. I'll throw her on the dyno one of these days and get some numbers out. BTW if anyone is interested in some custom paint, I have my own custom airbrushing business here, let me know!- Darren

·
Big, Bald, Beautiful!
283 Posts
Not my "thing", but very cool concept nonetheless! Do you get that lovely turbo whine? I'd love to see a video on youtube or something!

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
As an apparent gearhead you know there is more to the power equation than just adding boost, although it is definite a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stock ignition curve, no retard under boost and no detonation??
Incredible!!! , I have to say.
Yea! I am definitely happy how it turned out! Like I said I have the high elevation, low stock compression and not a lot of boost so they are all backing it fairly well. I also took in consideration if I go down in elevation on a road trip I have an adjustable blow off and wastegate so I can lower the boost if need be.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts