Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had, say a zx6r with a turbo, or an other bike for that matter would it be street legal? I know it probably would be unpractical but I just want to know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In California any modification to the exhast system that increases the emission out put from the factory standard is illegal. So in California an after market turbo is illegal, unless you added additional modifications to reduce the increased emission. This will vary state to state. Of course since emissions for motorcycles are not tested in California, no one would ever know if you didn't tell them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
They sell bikes with turbo so why should it be illegal? Some even have twin turbo. I thought only adding Nitro was illegal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They sell bikes with turbo so why should it be illegal? Some even have twin turbo. I thought only adding Nitro was illegal.
Buy a vehicle with factory installed turbo is NOT modifying it. The issue that makes it illegal is that when you MODIFY the exhaust. Installing a turbo is an exhaust modification, which is illegal in California. Motorcycles exhaust systems are not tested after the vehicle is sold though, so if you were to modify the exhaust no one would ever know.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Probably 50-75% of all "used" motorcycles are illegal for street use because, like others have mentioned, it is illegal to tamper with the exhaust system. You can thank the EPA for that one. A turbo is deadly on your insurance rates.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tampering with exhaust and noise control systems is federal unfournately. California just takes the federal restrictions a step further.

The exhaust restrictions federally imposed are what really killed gas mileage in economy cars. I had a 96 honda civic that got 43-44 mpg in city traffic almost every week. Go buy a new civic today and you might get 36. Same engine, different exhaust system. Nice huh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts