Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom. Every once in a while my right turn signals blink really fast and if I reach up and bump the front one it will stop. I took bulb out and it looks fine. Tried to take the socket assembly out and I can't get it out of the housing to check the wires on the back to see if it is a short. There is a clip that looks like it retains it in there but with clip removed I still can't get it out. Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to spend $70 on a new turn signal if I can fix it myself

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Try replacing the bulb first-- you can't always tell by looking if the filament has a break in it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think if the bulb was burnt out it would not flash at all, but both bulbs are flashing really fast.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I've had that happen more than once. The filament breaks but is still touching and bounces, screwing up the resistance and causing the light to flash fast. It still has a good enough connection to produce some light but not enough to present enough resistance to the flasher to keep it operating correctly.

A pack of bulbs are only a few bucks. That's much better than the arm and a leg I'm sure Maw Kaw charges for a new signal housing and/or the wiring harness.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had that same issue once. Come to find out it was the wiring harness under the seat. Try that as well

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the exact same situation with my 900 Classic. I finally found that the front right signal light lamp socket wire had come unsoldered. I removed the two tiny screws that held the socket in and had just enough room to re-solder the wire to the back of the socket. (about a 15 min. fix) Good luck

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Mine was just oxidized contacts, cleaned, lubed with socket grease and put back in, hasn't done it since. My wife and daughters Saturns are REALLY bad at this. All the lamps in those car essentially are christmas tree light connections. Broad band of brass with the wire crimped up against it. The brass oxidizes just like it did with model train sets and all of a sudden the light doesn't work again. Unplug and replug scrapes off the oxidation and down the road you go. The grease keeps the air away and thusly, the oxidation.

·
Big, Bald, Beautiful!
283 Posts
Mine was just oxidized contacts, cleaned, lubed with socket grease and put back in, hasn't done it since. My wife and daughters Saturns are REALLY bad at this. All the lamps in those car essentially are christmas tree light connections. Broad band of brass with the wire crimped up against it. The brass oxidizes just like it did with model train sets and all of a sudden the light doesn't work again. Unplug and replug scrapes off the oxidation and down the road you go. The grease keeps the air away and thusly, the oxidation.
+1 on this. So far, on my 900 custom, I've gone through this process on one of the front signals, and one of the rear. If you go in an clean/lube the contacts, it will usually fix the issue.

·
900 black custom
178 Posts
ok guys 2008 custom here and i have the same problem. replaced all the bulbs front and back. seemed to do the trick for about 5 miles. check them when i got home, heres what i found. two back ones look ok 1 filament in each bulb. when to check the front ones and 2 filaments per bulb. 1 should stay on after you fire the bike up. driving lamps. the other filament should be the flashing one. now one side is ok the other side the driving filament is on but when you hit the turn signal the 2nd filament does not flash the driving light filament starts to flash. do know what causing this. does this sound like your problem? if so please help. not going to take in into the stealing for that.

·
Big, Bald, Beautiful!
283 Posts
As said before, check the wire clips on the back, then clean/lube the contacts inside the sockets. If that doesn't work, you've either got a bad bulb or a short. Seems to be a common problem with the 900's though, and the clean/lube trick seems to fix most issues.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
1 Posts
I was told yesterday that my left rear signal is burned out and mine flashes real fast too. I'm going to pick up a bulb today and see if it slows down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 vulcan custom that has the same problem, when I wiggle the wires running to the rear turn signal the problem goes away until the vibration causes it to break the connection again, I am trying to figure out how to remove the turn signal but cant figure out how to seperate the assembly. A quick disconnect would be the ticket I may end up doing that to make replacing it easier. If I do finaly get it off the bike I will re solder the connections. Have you had any luck?

·
Sick Puppy
3,210 Posts
+1 on this. So far, on my 900 custom, I've gone through this process on one of the front signals, and one of the rear. If you go in an clean/lube the contacts, it will usually fix the issue.
+1 same thing for me also

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 2009 vulcan custom that has the same problem, when I wiggle the wires running to the rear turn signal the problem goes away until the vibration causes it to break the connection again, I am trying to figure out how to remove the turn signal but cant figure out how to seperate the assembly. A quick disconnect would be the ticket I may end up doing that to make replacing it easier. If I do finaly get it off the bike I will re solder the connections. Have you had any luck?

I replaced the bulbs in the front turn signal (the one that would make it stop flashing quickly when I hit it) and so far so good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts