Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the procedures for replacing the front turn signals on a Vulcan 800 (1996)? Or can direct me to the step by step procedure, would assume that you have to take off handle bars and all to get down to that area. Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
Are your signals on the forks right now? Where are you trying to relocate them to, or are you just replacing. Either way, you don't need to loose the bars. Removing the tank can help, but not neccessary. There are only three wires (running (blue), signal wire (gray, or green), and ground (black w/yellow). Just match the corresponding wires with your new lights, solder (or crimp) and mount. Done. If you have any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kawaski Turn signal replace

Thanks, with old age they crumbled and the entire unit needs to be replaced. They are currently on the forks and go through the crome piece, so not sure how they go on with out sliding that crome cup off. How does the assembly go on. If I did it right I attached it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, with old age they crumbled and the entire unit needs to be replaced. They are currently on the forks and go through the crome piece, so not sure how they go on with out sliding that crome cup off. How does the assembly go on. If I did it right I attached it.
I have exactly the same problem :-o Did you fix yours? What did you have to take off to get the sleeve off?? Where did you get your replacement signals from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never got any help, I don't think that you have to take anything off, I believe the slide out, after you remove the bolt on the other side, but not sure. I plan to buy them on ebay, they are $29 each, that is a lot less than at the dealer. I will keep trying to get an answer.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Well, with mine, 96 VN1500 C, I had to take the bolts off of the inside of my dash panel. Once those are removed, the wires run into the headlight.

First, you'll need to remove the front portion of your headlight, there should be two screws, one on the left and one on the right. Once you remove the front of the headlight, you will see all the wires. You should replace one at a time or label the plug sets with tape for right and left then unplug. Once you unplug, you should be able to get your wrench where the actual bolt is on the mount. If I'm not mistaken, it is a 14mm. You may or may not have to remove the headlight bucket, depends on how much room you have. Once you get the nut off, it will slide the length of the cable and off. At this point, you should be able to remove the old turn signal and associated wires.

To install the new ones, you would need to basically do the opposite using the wiring information from the earlier post. It is a pretty simple swap out and ultimately should not be much to it.

Of course, my example is using the 96 VN1500 Vulcan and not the 800. I would assume there isn't much difference though. For the most part, the turn signals are pretty much the same on most older bikes.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Sorry for the rambling. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I think the problem on the 800 Classic is that there is a chrome sleeve around the outside with a slot for the turn signal to come through. Undoing the signal bolt on the inside does not release the unit. The manual states that for the classic, the sleeve must be removed first but no instructions how to do it. As far as I can see, the steering yoke must be removed, so I assume an allen key at either side frees the screws, and the large nut at the top triple tree needs to be removed. (see my post http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/mechanics-corner/82063-replace-vulcan-800b-front-turn-signals.html)
But not sure if this may be problematic and what I could be letting myself in for. As to dropping the fork tubes, this seems harder and would have to be completely disconnected if the sleeve is to be slid off the bottom. I wonder if someone has actually removed the outer sleeve and turn signals on a Classic and can tell us what to do.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Support the bike with Jack unbolt triple clamp at top slide forkcover up install blinker and put back together

1 - 9 of 9 Posts