Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eight years ago I left the road inadvertently on my Drifter and hit a big rock, about 3/4 the diameter of the front wheel. I wasn't going very fast, but the sudden stop sent me over the handlebars (or through) and I hit a fence upside down and backward, then peeled off of it (like a cartoon) into the silt. The bike just jumped the rock and landed on its wheels in a conveniently placed ditch.

I broke my back in foupr laces, and it took me several years to get back to riding health. Since then, the handlebars seem to want to point a bit to the left of the front wheel - or something. It took a few years to convince my self that this was really happening, and since, I haven't been able to figure out which part is twisted, from the bars, down through the triple-trees, through the shocks and the axle itself.

I tried a few things, including the urban legend of loosening everything and then pouncing really hard on the bars, vertically. It worked about as well as you'd expect. I've purchased new risers, and I think it's about time I tried to go straight.

How can I figure out what is bent, or twisted, or crooked?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
First thing to mention is your getting back on the Horse after that injury, Well done.

So it sounds like the front end has twisted in the Forks when you tried to beat that rock at it's own game.
Can you explain in detail exactly what you loosened when you Pounced on the handlebars because the fix involves something similar but you don't loosen everything or the Bike ends up in a big heap.

·
Registered
664 Posts
With motocrossers and dirt bikes the fix was easy. You find a tree or telephone pole and bring the front wheel up to it and then violently swing the wheel sideways into the pole to correct the misalignment. We would do this without loosening anything. On a big street bike you would likely have to loosen the lower triple tree clamp first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts