Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i am having to kreem a tank which has lots of varnished gas left inside and the instructions warn about grease. i tried soap but will need something stronger. when properly done i have had real good results on what i believe was a pretty rusted tank. this one is all brown but mostly light even combination of the varnish and some surface dirt/rust formation. You can almost wipe it off if it were possible. In general the bike shows rusted over bolts but it was pretty clean when it sat, in excess of 10yrs.

There is something else i am not sure what it is. Under the air box, which i completely removed is a boot of some large diameter with clamps on both ends i believe. It looks like a cover on cars for the front wheel drive velocity joints. Is this hard to find and can i seal up the tear? Don't know if it flexes when bike is used, just don't see why it would fail on the top side there is an opening about 2in. along the "bellows".

I have no idea if engine has already suffered cct damage, but i know not to hit the starter until the replacement is in. I am going the cheap way for the coils at first until i find it has the normal power and will use the buick coil pack. I will forgo starting it with coil power and hope that when the battery and cct is in, it hasn't seen valve to piston kiss.

any info on the two issues and some good luck will keep my repairs going forward.
thanks,
regards jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed.B
Yes, the diagram shows the boot and it is cut open in one of the creases. What course of action is required?
jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts