Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost done with my '86 454 LTD project, and have 2 questions:

While wetsanding the primer yesterday, I accidentally sanded down to bare metal in 2 places. Both are about 1" x 1/8," and they're about 1/2" away from each other. Can I get by with repriming this area, or should I just strip and reprime the whole tank?

Second, the inside of the tank was pretty rusty when I got it, and the 2 rubber tubes that come up from the petcock are now lightly rust-colored. Do I need to clean them, or the innards of the petcock itself?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's good idea to take the petcock apart and clean it since you have the tank off. You need to deal with the rust inside the tank before you do anything. How bad is it, no point in painting if the ruct might come through! The best way is to soak it in phosphoric acid, rinse, flush out any water with alcohol so the rust doesn't flash over again. You can get tank cleaning/lining kits with all the stuff you'll need. As for the primer you can just touch it up and re-sand. Personally I always prime then spray with surfacer, sand and then paint.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I forgot to mention, the rust inside the tank is already gone. I'll disassemble & clean the petcock tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts