Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says, I somehow managed to put too much oil in. I changed the oil over the weekend, and the next day I noticed some oil in the garage - besides all the oil under the Jeep. Anyway, I wiped it down and looked around, but I didn't see where it was coming from so I wrote it off as oil spilled during the service. I noticed more the next day, so with some serious Twister, plus some spotter duty from my son, I was able to get a look at the sight glass and find the source of the problem. I drained out the excess, but I'm still not sure where it was leaking from.
Now, the question - Should I be concerned that the leak will continue? Could there be severe damage? Anything I need to look for? I'd really appreciate some guidance.

·
Cookie Monstress
454 Posts
well... first, you need to siphon out the excess. Check the oil level per the owner's manual or repair manual and get the level right.
Second, you should open your air filter housing and see if it is full of oil...(probably)...and clean that out. The crankcase breather hose may have conveyed oil up to that area. If your air filter is oil soaked, you should replace it....(unless it is a type that is intended to be oil soaked.

hope that helps... just went thru this myself on my V2K after the shop overfilled it..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. After reading this, I left the bike home for the day and I'll pull the air filter after work. I already drained the excess oil. I do know how much it should hold, my problem started when I assumed I knew how much was left in the jug from the last oil change. You know what they say about assume....

·
Hoosier Vet
383 Posts
SAE 10W-40
Capacity 3.0 L (3.2 us qt) (when filter is not removed)
3.2 L (3.4 us qt) (when filter is removed)
3.7 L (3.9 us qt) (when engine is completely dry

Right out of the service manual. Did you clean the screen too? It's located near the sight glass down low.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
well... first, you need to siphon out the excess. Check the oil level per the owner's manual or repair manual and get the level right.
Second, you should open your air filter housing and see if it is full of oil...(probably)...and clean that out. The crankcase breather hose may have conveyed oil up to that area. If your air filter is oil soaked, you should replace it....(unless it is a type that is intended to be oil soaked.

hope that helps... just went thru this myself on my V2K after the shop overfilled it..
+1

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, it's surprising how much oil that air filter housing can hold. :shock: Oddly enough, the dealers around here don't stock air filters, so I have to wait until the middle of the week before I can ride again. Between the house, the Jeeps, the van and now the bike, I'm really having the mechanical year from Hell. Mind you, the bike is the only thing I screwed up myself, but that just makes that one more painful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, it's surprising how much oil that air filter housing can hold. :shock: Oddly enough, the dealers around here don't stock air filters, so I have to wait until the middle of the week before I can ride again. Between the house, the Jeeps, the van and now the bike, I'm really having the mechanical year from Hell. Mind you, the bike is the only thing I screwed up myself, but that just makes that one more painful.
Ummm, oil will get into the AIR filter if too much has been put in. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts