Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
In my local town the parking ticket officers have decided to hone in on motorcycles parked on paved areas. This is a recent thing theyre focusing in on. For years i used to park my motorcycle on the pavement outside of shops, regardless of what the road markings state.
Now apparantly the pavement is an extention of the road.
IT appears the rule is if the road has parking restrictions, it applys to the pavement too... regardless of width.

But also a motorcycle can not park is a bicycle park as that is an area designated for cyclists only. So parking a motorcycle is a bicycle park is also a fineable offence, in the same way as stopping your motorcycle in the box section at traffic lights for cyclists or using cycle routes.
Parking a motorcycle in a car park space, means the motorcycle is vunerable to drivers blindly smashing in to it or stealing your parking space( to which you get fined for illegally parking).
Motorcycle parks are few and far between

I parked my motorcycle on the pavement up against a shop window and when i came out the officer gave me a bit of a lecture about how dangerous my motorcycle is and if it fell on someone etc.. yet the bike was leaning into the window on its side stand, and in 1st gear. So there is NO way i could fall over or move , unless someone purposely and physically pushed it over.

the bike is a heavy kawasaki GT550

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
The laws about parking differ from area to area and country to country and it all can be confusing, especially when enforcement varies from place to place. When I lived in the U.K. the police didn't say anything even if I parked my car partially or sometimes completely or my motorcycle completely on the pavement ("sidewalk" here in the U.S.) unless a prohibition sign was posted. In at least the parts of the U.S. where I have lived motorcycles and cars have to be parked legally off of sidewalks, on the roadway out of the driving lanes. At least one state - California - requires one wheel of a parked motorcycle to be in contact with the curb.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
where in the UK are you?

I usually try to grab a patrolling traffic warden to find out the council laws regarding motorbike parking and ask him what he personally would turn a blind eye to. ... don't forget to take note of his 'ID number'.
Or give your council a call and they should be able to help you.

Bikes are usually fine to park for free in Pay & Display spots which is good.

Regarding parking on the pavement, the highway code states that you can't do it. Pavements are for pedestrians, and the only way you'll get a little leeway is if the pavement is very very wide.
But you should really check with the local rules regarding bike parking.
Sticking it in a cycle rack is just as unfair to cyclists as it would be a car parking in a motorbike parking bay.

i suppose it all depends on the leniency of the warden on duty on whether you get a ticket if you're outside the 'rules'.

if you regularly park outside specific shops, you could ask the shop owner if it's ok for you to park your bike outside it. Most shops own/are responsible for the few feet of pavement just infront of their shop, so if you have the owner's permission to park there, then i guess technically you can't get a ticket for parking there. .. but you'd need to know the property rights of that particular storefront to see if the strip of pavement is included in their ownership/rent etc.

i'd personally prefer to take the risk of parking infront of wherever i go, but parking anywhere outside of a designated space is a risk and you gotta be willing to accept the consequences

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts

They just can't find any other vehicles to ticket ;)

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
well taxation without representation is what you are going thru....did you have a say or vote in the parking law, no, and so now you pay for a law you didnt enact or have a vote in....another way to raise revenue under the guise of safety

if the police really wanted safer roads, 1 dui and you would never drive again, kill someone while dui, life in prison

·
Registered
460 Posts
According the law in my country which is not much different than UK, a motorcycle is a vehicle in the same traffic category as a car and shouldn't be parked on the pavement.
However, in most countries that I know, they wouldn't fine you for it.
It just looks a bit ridicilous to park your bike on a parking space which has the size of a car.
Most motorcycles are not that much wider than 2 bicycles parked side by side on the pavement.
Is ticketing traffic violators not much more lucrative than chasing criminals?..

Advice: Buy a cruiser and wear patches.

A short story;
This summer in the city center of The Hague I parked my VN800 on really narrow pavement and wanted to take off to go home.
I just rode with my loud pipes about 40 feet to get to the road and 2 police female officers were walking my way. I was convinced that they would bust me, I passed them and to my surprise they just looked the other way.
Maybe they thought I was a badass biker or something.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I would never park on the sidewalk unless it was specifically set aside for me to do so. That's always asking for trouble.

However, at work, several riders (including me) park in the slashed area next to a sidewalk in front of one building. Security doesn't mind since we're always short on parking and it makes room for cars. Of course, parking in the slashed area next to a handicapped space would be a no-no. The areas we use are always at the ends of rows of car spaces.

Prior to us doing that, there would be around a dozen bikes scattered around the lot, each taking up a space. Granted, if one rider happen score an especially close space, he (or she) would often leave room for one or two more to take advantage of it.

The bonus is, the building entrance security desk looks right out at the area where most of us park. granted, I doubt anyone that works here would pull anything, but it's nice to know someone is able to watch.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
i did park on the sidewalk one at a movie theater, it was raining and another bike was parked up under the overhang to stay dry. So i parked there too. Some kid comes running out "you cant park there"...well ok then who's bike is this...oh its the managers....nuf said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts