Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a dumb question, not even sure of the logistics of it (how to get it up there) ..... but will a 800 Classic fit in the back of a short bed pick-up (with the tailgate closed)?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The overall length of an 800 is 93.5 inches. A typical short bed pickup has a bed that is 6.5 feet = 78 inches. :(

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
what if you place the bike on the diagonal axis?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not think it'll work .... I do not have a caculator with the square root thingy on it... but if you take the square root of 48^2 + 72^2 .... actually that 48 should probably be more 'cause the bed is 48" wide at the wheel well that sticks up (so at the front and rear it's wider), it'll be less then 93.5 (I think) .... the bike will fit with the tailgate dropped ... but I'm not sure how one would get it up there .... ramps might cause the bike to scrape on the way up (coming over the edge of the tailgate).... and then there's the matter of stopping it after the rear wheel comes up and before the front hits the front of the bed. :) (I aint a big enough dude to be able to push it up) :) ... I've done it with a 4 wheeler before (driving up ramps) ... but you do not have to worry about ballancing it.... and it's shorter so the timing on hitting the brakes is easy(er).

·
Registered
605 Posts
wow phatboy I like your method...but how big is the hill that a pickup bed will be level with the ground :)

I'm gonna go looking around for a hill with a parking lot next to it, and if I can get the bed of my chevy to connect with something then I'll definitely try to get my bike up there, I've always wanted it on trips I take out of state but I like to drive all the distance in one day so that's not always easy on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Just watch the grade else you can bury your trailer hitch and exhaust pipe :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I fit my '01 Vulcan 800 Classic in the back of my Dodge short wide but it was a bitch. Getting it in is a real pain as mentioned above. A wide ramp would help. Once you get the bike in, you will need to seesaw it (lifting front and rear ends alternately preferably) to fit diagonally. It clears by about 3 inches. Also, have 3 people... one to steady the pivot side and 2 to lift the end being moved. Good luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What did you do then, put a big ass cord around it to keep it from tipping?, and where did you put the grips down...and by grips I mean the hooks whose name I can't think of right now (i know my chevy has some available on the inner side

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Stuart call a few of the dealers around your town peferably the one`s that sell four wheelers and snowmobiles thay should have a steel ramp to back your truck up to, then load up. Call a dealer where your going and check for a ramp at the other end. Just a thought. Dwaine

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used some ratcheting tie downs to keep it vertical. Oh, and come to think of it... it wasn't all lifting. I jockeyed it back and forth for a while with the tailgate down, then we made the last moves by lifting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
G' Mornin Notch... :D

Why dont you save yourself some grief, possible injury to you and/or the bike, and make it easy on your self. Simply get a 'ride on' trailer like the following "" http://www.jwww.com/razor/ "". ( there are many others also ) For a very low 1600$ which can be financed from your local bank or credit union for next to nothing, you can add a whole nuther dimension to your riding !!

.. best regards..

Ernie in NH

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That's a *really* slick little trailer. Some day when the kids are gone, and the bike and motor home await me and wife....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ramps

IF you get a piece of 3/4" plywood and place it in your truck yo will have t leave hte front of it short of the front of the bed but you can then effectively extend your bed. You can also ge ot a sheet metal place and do the same thing...for a quick fix, or jst buy a boat trailer and a spare tire, soem plywood or sheetmetal and yo have a great bike trailer...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts