Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting a good pair of sunglasses that fit well under helmets.
I currently have a light-sensitive insert on my sheild, but it does'nt get dark enough during the day, and I don't want to switch out the sheild at night....suggestions?

Also, looking for a good pair of ear-plugs. The custom made ones are a little bit out of my budget and the ones I currently use (you squeeze them and they expand in the ear) suck, they don't stay in when I put on my helmet.......suggestions?

Thanks!! :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i learned to wear cheap sunglasses from ZZTOP :p

i've dropped,lost,blown off head,sat on,too many pairs of good ones :lol:
the ones i got now came from a snow ski shop-they are firm rubber and fit like goggles but super light - but i don't what the brand is :D

3M makes disposable space foam like ear plugs you can get from auto/marine jobbers and they work well and stay in and really cheap-
i use them at the drag strip and keep pockets full all the time :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
I currently have a light-sensitive insert on my sheild, but it does'nt get dark enough during the day, and I don't want to switch out the sheild at night....suggestions? Thanks!! :wink:
I've got a pair of thin framed Oakley's that work great. They don't really rest on my nose, but the helmet holds them place.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i am waiting for delivery of a new helmet which has a double visor, one standard and clear with a second smoked one on the inside ( since in the UK its illegal to have a properly tinted main visor, you have to have an insert)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good Glasses

If you want good glasses, then stick with the Oakley line of sun glasses, they seem to provide the best optical vision I wear the half wire model, they slide in the helmet easy, also good for flying, their is no distortion. I use to believe the Raybans were better , but I was proven wrong by an Eye doctor friend, after all an eye doctor should no.... shouldn't they? If it's cheap glasses, then what ever fits into a helmet easy and does not hurt your ears and nose. Just remember the cheaper glasses will let in the harmful uv light. But then hey... it's only your eyes right!
The space foam ear plugs are the best by the way, easy install and they stay in.

·
Registered
380 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
I currently have a light-sensitive insert on my sheild, but it does'nt get dark enough during the day, and I don't want to switch out the sheild at night....suggestions?

Also, looking for a good pair of ear-plugs. The custom made ones are a little bit out of my budget and the ones I currently use (you squeeze them and they expand in the ear) suck, they don't stay in when I put on my helmet.......suggestions?

Thanks!! :wink:
Hm... I'm looking for a pair of sunglasses too, thanks for bringing this up. I currently have a mirror shield that's getting scratched up due to use and clumsiness on my part. I currently use the squishy foam plugs though. They seem to work fine for me. Maybe my helmet isn't snug enough around my ears...?

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Aikata said:
So you use these when you ride?

If so, how long have you used them?
I don't use them when I ride. My bike is very quiet, but I do use them when I fly. They should stay in under a helmet I would think, and you can get them with a strap too that keep them around your neck. There are others too. Go back to Sporty's main page and search on "ear plugs" and you should get a pretty good selection to choose from.

Scott

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scott_PA said:
Aikata said:

I don't use them when I ride. My bike is very quiet, but I do use them when I fly. They should stay in under a helmet I would think, and you can get them with a strap too that keep them around your neck. There are others too. Go back to Sporty's main page and search on "ear plugs" and you should get a pretty good selection to choose from.

Scott
Cool Thanks!!! 8)

·
Registered
78 Posts
dont know about anyone else but i like to listen to music when i ride, as such i wear a pair of sony fontopia headphones, these are reffered to as ear bud. They also double as earplugs and as such you dont get all the wind noise, the only downside is you also cant hear horns etc. once tried wearing them when i was walking around cambridge and you dont realise how much you rely on sound to warn you of other things around you.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Teknik said:
dont know about anyone else but i like to listen to music when i ride, as such i wear a pair of sony fontopia headphones, these are reffered to as ear bud. They also double as earplugs and as such you dont get all the wind noise, the only downside is you also cant hear horns etc. once tried wearing them when i was walking around cambridge and you dont realise how much you rely on sound to warn you of other things around you.
people always say that its bad when you can't hear horns and such, but wihout earplugs on the highway I can't hear anything but wind anyway, I'd much rather be able to listen to music and not have to hear wind the entire time.

that model of earbud comfortable for long periods in your helmet? I've had issues with too much pressure on the sides of my head from ear buds before, just wondering how much you like them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i find them comfortable but i only ever wear them with either a tube or a balaclava, this helps to hold them in place (the wires tend to be pulled otherwise) while i pull the helmet on. The only long range riding i have done (cambridge - newcastle 4hrs each way) was a bit uncomfortable however since i was trying to listen to the radio i spent half the time listening to static anyway. I have since bought one of those mini stick mp3players and its amazing :D. Since they are earplugs as well you get good sound quality (Bass and treble is clear however you tend to loose a bit of the midrange due to the windnoise).

Edit:
Incase anyone is wondering here is a link to the headphones i am refering to :- MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones

·
Registered
380 Posts
Scott_PA said:
Aikata said:

Scott
Hm... well my bike is very quiet too. I need them for cancelling out the wind noise. I'm tempted to try a pair of those sonic ear plugs when I get some fundage though. Thanks for the link to the website!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SUGGESTION

Try different helmets...My bell allows in some wind noise, but my HJC is really quiet...I want to seee how the AGV fits and how loud it is next. I don't like wearing helmets day after day, they need to air out...even if you wash them out and clean them out all the time...

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
thats interesting zx-2r, I have a shoei and an HJC for my passengers. I will try the HJC and see if the noise level is different. Seems that my shoei is rather noisy....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Shoei

You should be able to go direct...check it on the web and order the inserts so that it is tighter and quieter. I did for my HJC...that way I can let things dry/air tumble with a 1/4 dryer sheet or a used dryer sheet...Just tell them the helmet type, Serial number and size...and they should send you the parts at a very cheap rate. Bell sent me a complete new helmet after I literally "Flew" over a car and almost landed on my feet. Anyway, long story...I've found the helmet manufactures very helpful...esp when you tell them that you just love the helmet but it..."it's a little noisy inside...a little loose in the cheeks...smees funny since I accidently Sneezed in it..."Tell them that you'd like to purchase a new visor...that maybe a freeby...maybe not, but it never hurts to have an extra anyway>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts