Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you have seen a motorcyclist pat the top of their helmet ( assuming you have a helmet law or are smart enough to wear one) It is the universal sign for a COP.

Pass the word if ya didn't know.

Could save you a ticket some day or someone else!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Around this part of Kentucky that is the sign for a cop(we tap the top of our helmets lighty). I am pretty sure that its the universalsign for one.

·
Registered
605 Posts
eh, just say you had an itch...or you thought your helmet was coming off :)

But, being a criminal justice student I guess I can't condone it :cry:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wouldn't it be similar to a radar detector alerting you of an upcoming officer? Not that you were speeding.. but as a reminder to check you speed... in case your attention wandered. :wink:

-Ryan
Good Citizen

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, in most places it's not a punishable offense, like in the desolate midwest places, you flip off your lights 3-4 times, 1-2 if they just don't have theirs on. but here in denver you flip your lights off (on your car that is) and you just piss ppl off :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uncle Bob said:
There are police officers on site you know !

And up there that would be illegal and subject to a fine.
I did start this topic - Even I can get a ticket.

I see riders all the time while working and unless that are out of hand, we don't bother. Go a few miles to another city that is bored. You better believe they will stop you.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

course if your not speeding you don't have to pat your head-just can just wave and give
em' a little rev :lol:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
course if your not speeding you don't have to pat your head-just can just wave and give
em' a little rev :lol:
They usually don't like that 'little rev' either... but I guess I'm not a good example, a little rev on my bike sounds likea lot of rev.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

short story about revs:

last year going to atlanta for a show with 21 camaro/firebirds we passed 2 alabama
troopers sitting in the median shooting radar.we were in the right lane running 65 in a 70
single file no playing around-as we passed a few guys in the middle of the pack revved
the troopers as they passed ,within 5 minutes both troopers had pulled all 21 cars over

we thought ohhh-ooooo ,now we've done it :oops:

we all got out and the troopers all wanted to see our motors and talk about how cool it
looked to see so many in row - when asked about the revs the troopers replied
"well if it had been just a couple of you we would have stopped you to see what
that was supposed to be" he went on to say since there was so many of you we
stopped you to admire the cars :p

moral-there is saftey in numbers when revving police officers :lol: j/k

its not something i'd recommend :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yep- one pulled up front and ran the left lane and slowed us down and the other
was in the back blocking traffic - it was sweeeet , i wish i would have had a video :lol:

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
In this city----the general attitude is a little extra speed on the bike is not a big deal----just don't be doing 100 in a 25---or weaving in and out of traffic like a maniac.

Even rode along side OPD motorcycle mounts---over the limit------they just checked out my bike and gave me the high sign.

Now the state and county guys are another matter----since the city takes up the whole county-----traffic is what those guys live for------check your speedo.

OPD generally has better things to do.

·
VROC #25645
831 Posts
There are police officers on site you know !

And up there that would be illegal and subject to a fine.
Actually, I'm in Canada, and I've been told it's not illegal to tell someone that there is a police officer ahead..... since that's likely to make you slow down, then it's a good thing. We must remember that we're not always only telling someone that there's a speed trap, but perhaps that a cop has someone pulled over, and to be aware that the side of the road is obstructed, and we should be prepared to slow down. That's safer for both the rider and any cop working on the side of the road.
It is illegal to warn someone that they are to be arrested and thereby allow them to flee, because then you are aiding and abetting a criminal, and/or interfering/obstructing justice, but just saying "hey, slow down, there's a cop just over the hill" actually shouldn't cause an issue.
That being said, I'm pretty sure the police still don't like it if you warn someone and thereby spoil the radar trap. Since it's illegal for them to "hide" while running a radar trap, they probably want every advantage they can get.

·
Registered
413 Posts
In case you have seen a motorcyclist pat the top of their helmet ( assuming you have a helmet law or are smart enough to wear one) It is the universal sign for a COP.

Pass the word if ya didn't know.

Could save you a ticket some day or someone else!
Cool, I didn't know that, Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts