Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
There is a forum The Zephyr Zone • Index page. It is Brit, but there is not much action because is restricted to Zephyrs, and not many were sold.

Interesting,...... when you started this thread, asking about the holes on the slides, I was one of the ones who responded in the US there is no holes. That was true on the Zephyr, however, recently I discovered that the ZR-7 carbs, the successor to the Zephyr in North America, had the slides showing another hole facing the butterflies. I tried them on the Zephyr, but could not see much difference really. To me the extra holes should, theoretically, moves the slides more briskly.
When you say another hole, you mean there were 5 holes drilled in the slide? What is butterflies? Do you have a photo of the slides to ZR-7?

When I searched information for the restricted european zephyres, I found on other kawasaki forum that was dedicated to popular one kind of model with one piston/carb adventure bike. Where they told that holes were drilled to make sure that the slides would not be able to lift all the way up, in that way, restricting the flow. Plugging them, would make sure that the slides would lift all the way up. However, in my case, I plugged all holes as I showed to you, because you all helped me to find information that Zephyre slides DID in fact not come with drilled hole at all.

Cheers

·
Registered
738 Posts
I happen to have a ZR-7 carb rack. The ZR-7 was the last of the KZ750s in North America....a repackaged Zephyr In the Zephyr 750 I own, the slides don't have any holes front or back, only one INSIDE vertically by the needle, facing down, on the engine side. You can only see it peeking inside the diaphragm opening on top.

The slides from the ZR-7 Keihins CVK 32, have same hole, except they have another in front horizontally facing the engine intake, centrally toward the bottom of the slide, not on top as your picture showed. What you showed as hole centrally down on the air side, in both, the Zephyr or ZR-7 are indentations, not holes. On the other side, engine side, the Zephyr is solid, but the ZR-7 shows the hole I mentioned.

Now, these are constant velocity carburators. Meaning the needles are lifted by vacuum from the engine, not direct throttle action. The throttle butterflies determines how much vacuum is exposed. At least the way I see it, more holes AT THE BOTTOM, may increase crispness how the slide react, as more area is exposed to vaccum. It is possible the ones on top relief vacuum to somewhere else in the body loosening lift as they are raised. Am not really sure.

Now the ZR-7 was more performance oriented than the Zephyr which was sold as 'retro'.....so don't think that extra hole at the bottom was to restrict it. Like I said, I tried the ZR-7 slides on the Zephyr, and did not find any significant difference, but am not a racer, am a mild rider.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts