Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A huge storm blew through here yesterday. It hasn't rained for about 3 months so it was a treat to ride. I put on my rain gear and hit the road for the 25-mile commute in a very heavy downpour. The rain gear and bike worked great and the ride was uneventful. The biggest issues were low visibility from the tire spray, forced higher speed (75-80) on I-10 across Phoenix and gusty winds. Riding in the rain is not much different than driving.... good tires, good gear and a reasonable amount of caution and you are set to go. I always try to put myself in a position where I have some options to keep from getting caught up in someone else's accident. Riding in all conditions whenever you can will make you a better rider and more comfortable out on the road where bad weather is quite often unavoidable. Get out there and ride!

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I hate when having to pass semi trucks in rainy conditions on the freeway. All that horrible tire spray..

·
Registered
817 Posts
Last August, I got caught in a steady rain from Albuquerque, NM to the New Mexico/Texas boarder (around 225 miles). My bike had never seen rain before but I had a destination planned for arrival the next day (Missouri). I took it easy and stayed in the tire track from the vehicles before me (for the most part). I remember one patch of tar on a section of road that was maybe 10 meters long or so. When my bike hit that, I felt I was riding on ice for that long second. It was a little spooky. Deep PM...

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
You should have installed a goodyear aqua tread to help out! :biggrin:

The guys at the track talk about riding in the rain to improve skills, but I gotta tell you, when the wheels start sliding around due to the wet track, I'd just as soon watch it come down as risk putting the bike down. It's obviously not as much risk on the roadways, but you still have to be vigilant, huh.

The biggest problem around here is that people don't seem to understand that vehicles don't stop as quickly on wet roads and tend to drive as though it's dry.....right into the rear end of the car in front of them. :shock:

·
Registered
192 Posts
drive like everyone else or get out of the way!
So the cars are driving faster in the heavier rain then they do when it's dry? This in its self doesn't make sense... I could see them driving just as fast, which legally may still be speeding... but not at higher speeds

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I don't know why the 'forced higher speeds', but I do know that most drivers in Phoenix haven't a clue how to drive in wet weather. It is almost comical, yet sad, how many accidents occur on a rainy day around here!

If you just calm down and don't get in a hurry, it's fun to ride in the rain!

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pawky.... No, they drive even faster when it is dry.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Rain doesn't bother me. Heck, it just about rained the whole time I was in Michigan this year.

Now, 24°F this morning in drizzel and the 2 degrees in similar tomorrow?? I'll cage it and still worry about black ice on the overpasses. If the roads dry out tomorrow I'll ride Thursday even though it's supposed to be just as cold. I can handle cold but ice and snow, I call it quits there, even with the Altimax on the back.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Rain doesn't bother me. Heck, it just about rained the whole time I was in Michigan this year.

Now, 24°F this morning in drizzel and the 2 degrees in similar tomorrow?? I'll cage it and still worry about black ice on the overpasses. If the roads dry out tomorrow I'll ride Thursday even though it's supposed to be just as cold. I can handle cold but ice and snow, I call it quits there, even with the Altimax on the back.
Yup...same here. Took the cage today because of the chance of frozen stuff. I can deal with the cold and I can deal with the rain, but put the two together and I'm parking the bike. I don't ride on ice...I'm not THAT crazy :lol:

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts

I dont mind the cold either Ijust dont want a salt covered bike.It is snowing like crazy down here by the stadiums right now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
All it has done here is rain or snow. Never thought I'd look forward to a drought again. Snow here in N VA in December is JUST WRONG! But I love my heated grips :)

Brian

·
Registered
471 Posts
Rain does not bother me, I just bought my first rain suit and I love it.
I can't explain why I did not buy one before now. Best investment ever.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I dont mind the cold either Ijust dont want a salt covered bike.
I personally tend to be more concerned with my cages being covered with salt. Bike's mostly plastic and aluminum...cage is mostly steel with a LOT more nooks and crannies to try and clean. Of the two, the cage is going to start rusting first.

Always been my take on riding salt strewn roads anyway.

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
I don't enjoy riding in the rain but if you live in the northeast, you will ride in the rain. No big deal.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vol...... You have broken the code. Be safe and enjoy that rain.

·
I'm Back
616 Posts
I ride in the rain as well but I certianly do not like it one bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts